2006-2012, Ph.D., Institute of Physics, the Chinese Academy of Science,
Advisor: Prof. Enge Wang
2002-2006, B.S., School of Physics. Wuhan University.
2017-Present Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, Peking University
2015-2017 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Northwestern University
2012-2015 Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Research Areas and Interests:
Low-dimensional Materials and Device Physics
1. Synthesis of van der Waals Crystals and Heterostructures
2. 2D Materials Optoelectronic Devices
Professional Honors and Awards
2017, “1000 Young Talent Program” award, CPC Central Organization Department of China
1. Lei Liu, Jewook Park, David A. Siegel, Kevin F. McCarty, Kendal W. Clark, Wan Deng, Leonardo Basile, Juan Carlos Idrobo, An-Ping Li, and Gong Gu, “Heteroepitaxial Growth of Two-Dimensional Hexagonal Boron Nitride Templated by Graphene Edges”, Science 343, 163 (2014).
2. Lei Liu, David A. Siegel, Wei Chen, Peizhi Liu, Junjie Guo, Gerd Duscher, Chong Zhao, Hao Wang, Wenlong Wang, Xuedong Bai, Kevin F. McCarty, Zhenyu Zhang, and Gong Gu, “An Unusual Role of Epilayer-Substrate Interactions in Determining Orientational Relations in van der Waals Epitaxy”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 111, 16670 (2014).
3. Jewook Park, Jaekwang Lee, Lei Liu, Kendal Clark, Corentin Durand, Changwon Park, Bobby Sumpter, Arthur Baddorf, Ali Mohsin, Mina Yoon, Gong Gu, and An-Ping Li, “Spatially Resolved One-Dimensional Boundary States in Graphene-Hexagonal Boron Nitride Planar Heterostructures”, Nat. Commun. 5, 5403 (2014).
4. Ali Mohsin, Lei Liu, Peizhi Liu, Wan Deng, Ilia N Ivanov, Guoliang Li, Ondrej E Dyck, Gerd Duscher, John R Dunlap, Kai Xiao, and Gong Gu, “Synthesis of millimeter-size hexagon-shaped graphene single crystals on resolidified copper”, ACS Nano 7, 8924 (2013).
5. Lei Liu, Yingli Zhang, Wenlong Wang, Changzhi Gu, Xuedong Bai, and Enge Wang, “Nanosphere lithography for the fabrication of ultranarrow graphene nanoribbons and on-chip bandgap tuning of graphene” Adv. Mater. 23, 1246 (2011) (Highlighted in NPG Asia Materials with the title of “Graphene: Ribbons from spheres”)
6. Lei Liu, Donglin Xie, Muhong Wu, Xiaoxia Yang, Zhi Xu, Wenlong Wang, Xuedong Bai, and Enge Wang, “Controlled oxidative functionalization of monolayer graphene by water-vapor plasma etching” Carbon 50, 3039 (2012).
7. Xiaoxia Yang, Lei Liu, Muhong Wu, Wenlong Wang, Xuedong Bai, and Enge Wang, “Wet-chemistry-assisted nanotube-substitution reaction for high-efficiency and bulk-quantity synthesis of Boron- and Nitrogen-codoped single-walled carbon nanotubes” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 133, 13216 (2011).
8. Wangyang Fu, Shengyong Qin, Lei Liu, Tae-Hwan Kim, Sondra Hellstrom, Wenlong Wang, Wenjie Liang, Xuedong Bai, An-Ping Li, and Enge Wang, “Ferroelectric gated electrical transport in CdS nanotetrapods” Nano Lett. 11, 1913 (2011).
9. Zhi Xu, Yoshio Bando, Lei Liu, Wenlong Wang, Xuedong Bai, and Dmitri Golberg, “Electrical conductivity, chemistry, and bonding alternations under graphene oxide to graphene transition as revealed by in situ TEM” ACS Nano 5, 4401 (2011).
10. Chuanxu Ma, Jewook Park, Lei Liu, Yong-Sung Kim, Mina Yoon, Arthur P Baddorf, Gong Gu, An-Ping Li, “Interplay between intercalated oxygen superstructures and monolayer h-BN on Cu (100)” Phys. Rev. B 94, 064106 (2016).