•Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Kobe University & National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan (2008)
•M.S., Chemistry, Nankai University, Tianjin, China (2004)
Nanoporous materials, Thermal energy storage, Fuel cell catalysts, Lithium-ion battery materials, CO2 capture and separation, Clathrate hydrates, Neutron diffraction.
Dr. Zou’s research work focuses on developing both theoretical and experimental approaches to understand the specific interactions between various guest molecules (such as energy gases, greenhouse gases, toxics, phase change materials, environmental contaminations, and metal clusters) and the active sites within the nanoporous structures based on a series of novel porous framework materials. These porous framework materials have potential applications in energy utilization and environmental remediation, especially for gas storage and separation, electrochemical energy conversion and storage, clean coal technology, contamination sensing and degradation, carbon dioxide capture, etc.. It is clear is that these advanced materials have the potential and ability to meet many of the stated needs, and their successful development, especially of materials with desired properties can yield a high return in investment, while still meeting the energy-saving and environmental protection requirements. To bring these properties to maturity, Dr. Zou’s current research includes the optimization of specific selectivity, interpretation of the host-guest interaction mechanism, as well as, the development of their industrial applications.
Professional Honors and Awards
- National Outstanding Young Scientist of NSFC (2018)
- Wangxuan Excellent Young Scientist of Peking University (2017)
- Changjiang Scholar for Young Scientist of China (2016)
- Top-notch Young Professionals of China (2015)
- The Excellent Young Scientist of NSFC (2013)
- The New Star Program of Beijing Committee of Science and Technology (2012)
- The Ministry of education program for New Century Excellent Talents of China (2011)
- LANL Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow (2008)
- JSPS Research Fellow (2006)
•Associate Director, Beijing Key Lab of Advanced Battery Materials (2011-)
•PI, Singapore-Peking University Low Carbon Research Center, CREATE campous, Singapore (2012-2016)
•Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory (2008 - 2010)
•JSPS Fellow, Kobe University (2006 - 2008)
Selected Recent Publications (>170 SCI papers)
- Zhao, R.; Liang, Z.; Gao, S.; Yang, C.; Zhu, B.; Zhao, J.; Qu, C.; Zou, R.; et al. “Puffing up Energetic Metal‐organic Frameworks to Large Carbon Networks with Hierarchical Porosity and Atomically Dispersed Metal Sites” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2019, 58, 1975-1979.
- Zhao, R.; Liang, Z.; Zou, R.; et al. “Metal-Organic Frameworks for Batteries” Joule, 2018, 2, 2235-2259.
- Waseem, A.; Huang, X.; Wu, W.; Liang, Z.; Asif. M.; Zou, R. “Nanoconfined Phase Change Materials for Thermal Energy Applications”, Energ. Environ. Sci., 2018, 11, 1392-1424.
- Liang, Z.; Qu, C.; Xia, D.; Zou, R.; et al. “Atomically dispersed metal sites in MOF‐based materials for electrocatalytic and photocatalytic energy conversion”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2018, 57, 9604-9633.
- Tabassum, H.; Zou, R.; et al. “A Universal Strategy for Hollow Metal Oxide Nanoparticles Encapsulated into B/N Co-Doped Graphitic Nanotubes as High-Performance Lithium-Ion Battery Anodes”, Adv. Mater., 2018, 1705441.
- Liang, Z.; Qu, C.; Guo, W.; Zou, R.; et al. “ Pristine Metal–Organic Frameworks and their Composites for Energy Storage and Conversion”, Adv. Mater., 2018, 1702891.
- Xia, W.; Qu, C.; Liang, Z.; Zhao, B.; Dai, S.; Qiu, B.; Jiao, Y.; Zhang, Q.; Huang, X.; Guo, W.; Dang, D.; Zou, R.; et al. “High-Performance Energy Storage and Conversion Materials Derived from a Single Metal–Organic Framework/Graphene Aerogel Composite ”, Nano Lett., 2017, 17, 2788–2795.
- Hassina, T.; Guo, W.; Meng, W.; Mahmood, A.; Zhao, R.; Wang, Q.; Zou, R. “Metal–Organic Frameworks Derived Cobalt Phosphide Architecture Encapsulated into B/N Co-Doped Graphene Nanotubes for All pH Value Electrochemical Hydrogen Evolution”, Adv. Energ. Mater., 2017, 1601671.
- Mahmood, A.; Guo, W.; Hassina, T.; Zou, R. “Metal-Organic Framework-Based Nanomaterials for Electrocatalysis” Adv. Energ. Mater., 2016, 1600423.
- Xia, W.; Mahmood, A.; Zou, R.; et al. “Metal-Organic Frameworks and their derived nanostructures for Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion” Energ. Environ. Sci., 2015, 8, 1837-1866.