Soft robots, metamaterials, reconfigurable structures, compliant mechanisms, soft matter, design optimization, solid mechanics, differential geometry, AI for design
2022-present Peking University, Beijing, China
Assistant Professor, Department of Advanced Manufacturing and Robotics
2019-2021 California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, USA
Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Supervisor: Chiara Daraio
2014-2019 Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Advisor: Prof. Glaucio H. Paulino
2016-2017 University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Visiting Research Student, Supervisor: Prof. Tomohiro Tachi
2012-2014 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA
M.S. in Civil Engineering, Advisors: Prof. Glaucio H. Paulino, Prof. Paolo Gardoni
2009-2013 Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Hangzhou, China
B.Eng. in Civil Engineering
HONORS AND AWARDS
2022 ASME Melville Medal
2020 Sigma Xi Best Ph.D. Thesis Awards (Georgia Tech)
2018 7OSME Gabriella & Paul Rosenbaum Foundation Travel Award
2017 Best poster at the 2nd Int. Workshop on Origami Eng.
2013 Outstanding Undergraduate Thesis (Zhejiang University)
See: Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=kWjWFvAAAAAJ&hl)
- D. Misseroni, P. P. Pratapa, K. Liu, G. H. Paulino. Experimental realization of tunable Poisson’s ratio in deployable origami metamaterial. Extreme Mechanics Letters, 53, 101685, 2022.
- L. Wang, J. Boddapati, K. Liu, P. Zhu, C. Daraio, W. Chen. Mechanical cloak via data-driven aperiodic metamaterial design. PNAS, 119 (13), e2122185119, 2022.
- K. Liu, F. Hacker, C. Daraio. Robotic surfaces with reversible, spatiotemporal control for shape morphing and object manipulation. Science Robotics, 6:eabf5116, 2021.
- K. Liu, T. Tachi, G. H. Paulino. Origami metamaterial with metastable phases through mechanical phase transitions. ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 88(9): 091002,2021.
- K. Liu, L. Novelino, P. Gardoni, G. H. Paulino. Big influence of small random imperfections in origami-based metamaterials. Proceedings of the Royal Society – A, 476: 20200236, 2020. Featured on the cover.
- K. Liu, T. Tachi, G. H. Paulino. Invariant and smooth limit of discrete geometry folded from bistable origami leading to multistable metasurfaces. Nature Communications, 10: 4238, 2019.
- K. Liu, T. Zegard, P. P. Pratapa, and G. H. Paulino. Unraveling tensegrity tessellations for metamaterials with tunable stiffness and bandgaps. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 131:147-166, 2019.
- P. P. Pratapa*, K. Liu*, and G. H. Paulino. Geometric mechanics of origami patterns exhibiting Poisson's ratio switch by breaking Mountain and Valley assignment. Physical Review Letters, 122:155501, 2019. *co-first author.
- K. Liu, G. H. Paulino. Tensegrity topology optimization by force maximization on arbitrary ground structures. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 59(6):2041-2062, 2019.
- K. Liu, G. H. Paulino. Nonlinear mechanics of non-rigid origami: An efficient computational approach. Proceedings of the Royal Society–A. 473:20170348, 2017.
- K. Liu*, J. Wu*, G. H. Paulino, and H. J. Qi. Programmable Deployment of Tensegrity Structures by Stimulus-Responsive Polymers. Scientific Reports. 7:3511, 2017. *co-first author. In collections: Top 100 in Materials Science, Editor’s choice.
- K. Liu, G. H. Paulino, P. Gardoni. Segmental multi-point linearization for parameter sensitivity approximation in reliability analysis. Structural Safety, 62:101-115, 2016.
- K. Liu, G. H. Paulino, P. Gardoni. Reliability-based topology optimization using a new method for sensitivity approximation - application to ground structures. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 54(3):553-571, 2016.