2000.09 - 2004.06 Ph.D.in Polymer Chemistry and Physics, Peking University
1993.09 - 2000.06 M.S. and B.S. in Polymer Engineering, Qingdao Institute for Chemical Technology
2019.01 – Now Principal Investigator, Biomedical Engineering Department, Peking University
2011.10 - 2018.12 Principal Investigator, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Tsinghua University
2007.05 - 2011.08 Postdoctor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University
2005.05 - 2007.04 Postdoctor, Institute of Chemical Research, Kyoto University
acromolecular Biomaterials； Hybrid Biomaterials； Protein-Polymer/Drug/Protein/Nucleic Acid Conjugates； Drug-Polymer Conjugates； Drug/Gene Delivery； Molecular Imaging/Diagnostics；Regenerative Medicine
2019 Award for Mentor of Excellent PhD Thesis, Tsinghua University
2017 Award for Mentor of Excellent PhD Thesis, Tsinghua University
2016 Bayer Investigator Award
2012 Tsinghua-Janssen Investigator Award
2007 Excellent Academic Paper, China Association for Science and Technology
1996 Chemical Industry Prize, Ministry of Chemical Industry of China
28. Jianwen Guo, Jiawei Sun, Xinyu Liu, Zhuoran Wang, Weiping Gao*. Head-to-tail macrocyclization of albumin-binding domain fused interferon alpha improves the stability, activity, tumor penetration, and pharmacology. Biomaterials 2020, 250, 120073.
27. Chi-Wei Chiang, Xinyu Liu, Jiawei Sun, Jianwen Guo, Lei Tao, Weiping Gao*. Polymerization-induced coassembly of enzyme–polymer conjugates into comicelles with tunable and enhanced cascade activity. Nano Letters 2020, 20, 1383-1387.
26. Rongzan Lin, Xinghui Yan, Hanjun Hao, Weiping Gao*, Ran Liu*. Introducing temperature-controlled phase transition elastin-like polypeptides to transient electronics: realization of proactive biotriggered electronics with local transience. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2019, 11, 46490-46496.
25. Zhuoran Wang, Jianwen Guo, Jiawei Sun, Ping Liang, Yan Wei, Xuliang Deng, Weiping Gao*. Thermoresponsive and protease-cleavable interferon-polypeptide conjugates with spatiotemporally-programmed two-step release kinetics for tumor therapy. Adv. Sci. 2019, 6，1900586.
24. Hanjun Hao, Mengmeng Sun, Pengyong Li, Jiawei Sun, Xinyu Liu, Weiping Gao*. In situ growth of a cationic polymer from the N-terminus of glucose oxidase to regulate H2O2 generation for cancer starvation and H2O2 therapy. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2019, 11, 9756-9762.
23. Zhuoran Wang, Jianwen Guo, Jing Ning, Xiaoyu Feng, Xinyu Liu, Jiawei Sun, Xiangmei Chen, Fengmin Lu, Weiping Gao* . One-month zero-order sustained release and tumor eradication after a single subcutaneous injection of interferon alpha fused with a body-temperature-responsive polypeptide. Biomater. Sci. 2019, 7, 104-112.
22. Pengyong Li, Mengmeng Sun, Zhikun Xu, Xinyu Liu, Wenguo Zhao, Weiping Gao*. Site-selective in situ growth-induced self-assembly of protein-polymer conjugates into pH-responsive micelles for tumor microenvironment triggered fluorescence imaging. Biomacromolecules 2018, 19, 4472-4479.
21. Xinyu Liu, Mengmeng Sun, Jiawei Sun, Jin Hu, Zhuoran Wang, Jianwen Guo, Weiping Gao*. Polymerization induced self-assembly of a site-specific interferon a-block copolymer conjugate into micelles with remarkably enhanced pharmacology. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 10435-10438.
20. Mengmeng Sun, Jianwen Guo, Hanjun Hao, Tong Tong, Kun Wang, Weiping Gao*. Tumour-homing chimeric polypeptide-conjugated polypyrrole nanoparticles for imaging-guided synergistic photothermal and chemical therapy of cancer. Theranostics 2018, 8, 2634-2645.
19. Xinyu Liu, Jiawei Sun, Weiping Gao*. Site-selective protein modification with polymers for advanced biomedical applications. Biomaterials 2018, 178, 413-434.
18. Xinyu Liu, Jin Hu, Jianwen Guo, Guilin Wang, Weiping Gao*. Temperature-responsive polymer conjugation of interferon-a enhances antitumor efficacy. Acta Polym. Sin. 2018, 1, 90-98.
17. Zhuoran Wang, Qiong He, Wenguo Zhao, Jianwen Luo*, Weiping Gao*. Tumor-homing, pH- and ultrasound-responsive polypeptide-doxorubicin nanoconjugates overcome doxorubicin resistance in cancer therapy. J. Control. Release 2017, 264, 66-75.
16. Wenguo Zhao, Jin Hu, Weiping Gao*. Glucose oxidase-polymer nanogels for synergistic cancer-starving and oxidation therapy. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2017, 9，23528-23535.
15. Mengmeng Sun, Dong Peng, Hanjun Hao, Jin Hu, Dongliang Wang, Kun Wang, Jing Liu, Ximin Guo, Yen Wei, Weiping Gao*. Thermally triggered in situ assembly of gold nanoparticles for cancer multimodal imaging and photothermal therapy. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2017, 9, 10453-10460.
14. Xinyu Liu, Weiping Gao*. In situ growth of self-assembled protein-polymer nanovesicles for enhanced intracellular protein delivery. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2017, 9, 2023-2028.
13. Guilin Wang, Jin Hu, Weiping Gao*. Tuning the molecular size of site-specific interferon-polymer conjugate for optimized antitumor efficacy. Sci. China Mater. 2017, 60，563-570.
12. Jin Hu, Guilin Wang, Wenguo Zhao, Weiping Gao*. In situ growth of a C-terminal interferon-alpha conjugate of a phospholipid polymer that outperforms PEGASYS in cancer therapy. J. Control. Release 2016, 237, 71-77.
11. Jin Hu, Guilin Wang, Wenguo Zhao, Xinyu Liu, Libin Zhang, Weiping Gao*. Site-specific in situ growth of an interferon-polymer conjugate that outperforms PEGASYS in cancer therapy. Biomaterials 2016, 96, 84-92.
10. Mengmeng Sun, Fei Liu, Yukun Zhu, Wansheng Wang, Jin Hu, Jing Liu, Zhifei Dai, Kun Wang, Yen Wei, Jing Bai, Weiping Gao*. Salt-induced Aggregation of Gold nanoparticles for photoacoustic imaging and photothermal therapy of cancer. Nanoscale 2016, 8, 4452-4457.
9. Jin Hu, Guilin Wang, Xinyu Liu, Weiping Gao*. Enhancing pharmacokinetics, tumor accumulation and antitumor efficacy by elastin-like polypeptide fusion of interferon alpha. Adv. Mater. 2015, 27, 7320-7324.
8. Libin Zhang, Wenguo Zhao, Xinyu Liu, Guilin Wang, Yang Wang, Dong Li, Liangzhi Xie, Yan Gao, Haiteng Deng, Weiping Gao*. Site-selective in situ growth of fluorescent polymer-antibody conjugates with enhanced antigen detection by signal amplification. Biomaterials 2015, 64, 2-9.
7. Jin Hu, Lining Xie, Wenguo Zhao, Mengmeng Sun, Xinyu Liu, Weiping Gao* Design of tumor-homing and pH-responsive polypeptide-doxorubicin nanoparticles with enhanced anticancer efficacy and reduced side effects. Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 11405-11408.
6. Wenguo Zhao, Fei Liu, Yue Chen, Jing Bai, Weiping Gao*. Synthesis of well-defined protein-polymer conjugates for biomedicine. Polymer 2015, 66, A1-A10.
5. Jin Hu, Wenguo Zhao, Yan Gao, Mengmeng Sun, Yen Wei, Haiteng Deng, Weiping Gao*. Site-specific in situ growth of a cyclized protein-polymer conjugate with improved stability and tumor retention. Biomaterials 2015, 47, 13-19.
4. Weiping Gao, Donghua Xu, Dong Woo Lim, Stephen L. Craig, Ashutosh Chilkoti*. In situ growth of a thermoresponsive polymer of a genetically engineered elastin-like polypeptide. Polym. Chem. 2011, 2,1561-1566.
3. Weiping Gao, Wenge Liu, Trine Christensen, Michael R. Zalutsky, Ashutosh Chilkoti*. In situ growth of a PEG-like polymer from the C-terminus of an intein fusion protein improves pharmacokinetics and tumor accumulation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2010, 107, 16432-16437.
2. Weiping Gao, Wenge Liu, J. Andrew Mackay, Michael R. Zalutsky, Eric J. Toone, Ashutosh Chilkoti*. In situ growth of a stoichiometric PEG-like conjugate at a protein’s N-terminus with significantly improved pharmacokinetics. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2009, 106, 15231–15236.
1. Weiping Gao, Yu Bai, Erqiang Chen*, Zichen Li*, Bingyong Han, Wantai Yang, Qifeng Zhou*. Controlling vesicle formation via interpolymer hydrogen-bonding complexation between poly(ethylene oxide)-block-polybutadiene and poly(acrylic acid) in solution. Macromolecules 2006, 39, 4894-4898.