Feb 1985-Nov 1987 Ph.D. in Mechanics, Department of Mathematics and Mechanics, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
Feb 1982-Jul 1984 M.S. in Solid Mechanics, Department of Engineering Mechanics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Feb 1978-Jan 1982 B.S. in Mechanics, Department of Engineering Mechanics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Dec 1987-Jun 1992 Lecturer & Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics and Mechanics, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
Jun 1992-present Professor, Department of Mathematics and Mechanics, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
May 1993-Aug 1995 Visiting Professor, University of Kentucky, USA
Research Associate, Clarkson University, USA
Sep 1993-Jan 1995 Senior Visiting Scholar, University of Delaware, USA
Dec 2009-present Academician, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Oct 2010-present Academician, The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World
Jun 2012-present Professor, Xidian University, Xi’an, China
- Environmental Mechanics of Wind-blown Sands
- Electromagnetic Solid Mechanics
- Nonlinear Solid Mechanics of Elastic Plates and Shells
Selected Professional Honors and Awards
- 1988 China Science and Technology Award for Young Scholars
- 1991 The Ph.D. with Outstanding Contributions in China
- 1992 Gainer of the Special government allowances
- 1997 National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars
- 1997 Baogang Excellent Teacher Award (Special Awards)
- 2007 2nd Class of The State Scientific and Technological Progress Awards, P.R. China (2/10)
- 2007 1st Class of the 'Xu Zhilun' Mechanics Awards
- 2007 The 'Van Duzer' Prize, by IEEE Council on Superconductivity, USA
- 2008 2nd Class of The State Natural Science Award, P.R. China (1/2)
- 2010 Member of the Third World Academy of Sciences
- 2014 The ‘Ho Leung Ho Lee’ Awards for Science and Technology Progress
- 2017 The ‘Zhou Peiyuan’ Mechanics Awards
- 2018 2nd Class of The State Natural Science Award, P.R. China (2/3)
Selected Professional Activities
- 2006-2010, 2014-present, Vice-Chairman of the Chinese Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (CSTAM)
- 2016- present, Vice-Chairman of the China Association for Science and Technology (CAST)
- 2016-present, Member of the Advisory Committee of TWAS (Engineering Sciences)
- 2011-2017, Editor-in-Chief of the ‘Acta Mechanica Solid Sinica’
- 2016-present, Editorial Advisory Panel of the ‘Theoretical And Applied Mechanics Letters’
- 2018-present, Member of the board of directors of the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (IUTAM)
Selected Recent Publications
- Zheng X J, 1990. Large Deflection Theory of Circular Thin Plates and its Applications, Jilin Science and Technology Press, China. (sponsored by Chinese Association of Science & Technology and selected into "the Scientific Series for Chinese Young Scholars")
- Zhou Y H, Zheng X J, 1999. Mechanics of Electromagnetic Solid and Structures, Science Press, China. (sponsored by the National Foundation for Academic Publication of Science & Technology)
- Zheng X J, 2009. Mechanics of Wind-blown Sand Movements, Springer-Verlag, Germany. (selected into the “Environmental Science and Engineering Series”).
- Zheng X J, Wang P, 2011. Mechanics and Dust Storms, china higher education press, China. (The Popular Mechanics Series)
- Zhang H, Bo T L, Zheng X J*, 2017.Evaluation of the electrical properties of dust storms by multi-parameter observations and theoretical calculations. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 461: 141-150.
- Wang X N, Zheng X J*, Wang P, 2017. Direct numerical simulation of particle-laden plane turbulent wall jet and the influence of Stokes number. International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 92: 82-92.
- Wang G H, Zheng X J*, 2016. Very large scale motions in the atmospheric surface layer: a field investigation. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 802: 464-489.
- Zheng X J*, 2013. Electrification of wind-blown sand: Recent advances and key issues. European Physical Journal E, 36: 138.
- Zheng X J, Fu L T, Bo T L*, 2013. Incident velocity and incident angle of saltating sand grains on Mars. New Journal of Physics, 15(4), 043014.
- Jin K, Kou Y, Zheng X J*, 2012. The resonance frequency shift characteristic of Terfenol-D rods for magnetostrictive actuators. Smart Materials and Structures, 21: 045020.
- Li X C, Xie L, Zheng X J*, 2012. The comparison between the mie theory and the rayleigh approximation to calculate the EM scattering by partially charged sand, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy & Radiative Transfer, 113(3): 251-258.
- Zhu L L, Zheng X J*, 2010. Modification of the elastic properties of nanostructures with surface charges in applied electric fields. European Journal of Mechanics A-Solids, 29: 337-347.
- Gou X F*, Zheng X J*, Zhou Y H*, 2007. Drift of levitated/suspended body in high-T-c superconducting levitation systems under vibration-Part 1: A criterion based on magnetic force-gap relation for gap varying with time. IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 17(3): 3795-3802.
- Gou X F*, Zheng X J*, Zhou Y H*, 2007. Drift of levitated/suspended body in High-T-c superconducting levitation systems under vibration-Part II: Drift velocity for gap varying with time. IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 17(3): 3803-3808.
- Zheng X J*, Zhu L L, 2006. Theoretical analysis of electric field effect on the Young's modulus of nanowires. Applied Physics Letters, 89: 153110.
- Sun L, Zheng X J*, 2006. Numerical simulation on coupling behavior of Terfenol-D rods. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 43(6): 1613-1623.
- Zheng X J, Huang N*, Zhou Y H, 2003. Laboratory measurement of electrification of wind-blown sands and simulation of its effect on and saltation movement. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 108(D10): D104322.
- Zheng X J*, Wang X Z, 2003. A magnetoelastic theoretical model for soft ferromagnetic shell in magnetic field. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 40: 6897-6912.
- Zheng X J, Zhou Y H, Lee J S, 1999. Instability of superconducting partial torus with two pin supports. Journal of Engineering Mechanics-ASCE, 125(2): 174-179.
- Yeh K Y, Zheng X J, Zhou Y H, 1989. An analytical formula of the exact solution for von Karman equations of a circular plate under a concentrated load. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 24: 551-560.