My research focuses on theoretical fluid dynamics, and the research topics include geophysical fluid dynamics, turbulence, magnetohydrodynamics and microfluid dynamics. In research, I use techniques such as asymptotic expansion, variational calculus, bifurcation theory and numerical simulation.
PhD, Applied and Computational Mathematics (advisor: Prof. Jacques Vanneste)
School of mathematics, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK July 2015
B.Sc., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
College of Engineering, Peking University, Beijing, China July 2011
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanics, College of Engineering, Peking University, China Sep. 2019--
Courant Instructor/Assistant Professor, Courant Institute, New York university, NY, USA Sep. 2017--Aug. 2017
Postdoc, Department of Physics, University of California, Berkeley, USA Jun. 2015--Jun. 2017
(advisor: Prof. Edgar Knobloch )
HONORS and SCHOLARSHIPS
Joseph B. Keller Postdoctoral Fellowship (Courant Institute)
Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship (The University of Edinburgh)
Centre for Numerical Algorithms and Intelligent Software Scholarship (The University of Edinburgh)
Peking University 1987 Alumni Scholarship (Peking University)
Academic Excellence Award, Peking University (Peking University)
1. Xie J.-H. & Bühler O. Third-order structure functions for isotropic turbulence with bidirectional energy transfer, J. Fluid Mech. 877, R3.
2. Xie J.-H. & Bühler O. 2019 Two-dimensional isotropic inertia--gravity wave turbulence, J. Fluid Mech. 872, 752—783.
3. Xie J.-H., Julien K. & Knobloch E. 2019 Jet formation in salt-finger convection: a modified Rayleigh-Bénard problem, J. Fluid Mech., 858, 228—263.
4. Xie J.-H. & Bühler O. 2018 Exact third-order structure functions for two-dimensional turbulence, J. Fluid Mech. 851, 672—686.
5. Miquel B., Xie J.-H., Featherstone N., Julien K. & Knobloch E. 2018 Equatorially Trapped Convection in a Rapidly Rotating Shallow Shell, Phys. Rev. Fluids. 3, 053801.
6. Xie J.-H., Julien K & Knobloch E. 2018 Subcritical saturation of the magnetorotational instability through mean magnetic field generation, Mon. Notices Royal Astron. Soc, 474(3), 3451--3465.
7. Xie J.-H. & Vanneste J. 2017 Interaction between mountain waves and shear flow in an inertial layer, J. Fluid Mech. 816, 352—380.
8. Xie J.-H., Miquel B., Julien K. & Knobloch E. 2017 A reduced model for salt fingering convection in the small diffusivity ratio limit, Fluids, 2(1), 6.
9. Xie J.-H. & Vanneste J. 2015 A generalised-Lagrangian-mean model of the interactions between near-inertial waves and mean flow, J. Fluid Mech. 774, 143--169.
10. Xie J.-H. & Vanneste J. 2014 Dynamics of a spherical particle in an acoustic field: a multiscale approach, Phys. Fluids, 26, 102001.
11. Xie J.-H. & Vanneste J. 2014 Boundary streaming with Navier boundary condition, Phys. Rev. E, 89, 063010.