Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, 1993
S. M. Mechanical Engineering, Nanjing University of Technology, 1986
B. S . Mechanical Engineering, Nanjing University of Technology, 1982
1995-2009 Associate Professor, Professor and Chair Professor; School of Aerospace Engineering, Tsinghua University
2009-2015 Chair Professor, College of Engineering, Peking University
2015-present Chair Professor, Institute of Advanced Structure Technology, Beijing Institute of Technology
Mechanics of electromagnetic materials, microelectronics devices and bateries
Mechanics of advanced materials and lightweight lattice composite materials
Mechanics of materials and structures under high temperature and extreme environment
Mechanics of advanced manufacturing including 3D & 4D printing
Micromechanics and physics-based continuum models across length scales
President, The Chinese Society of Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, 2019-
President, International Association of Applied Mechanics, 2018-
Vice President, Chinese Society for Composite Materials, 2016-
Awards and Honors
- Zhou Peiyuan Mechanics Award by The Chinese Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 2019
- International Computational Method Medal by International Conference on Computational Methods, 2019
- Science and Technology Awards by Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation, 2016
- Academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2013
- National Natural Science Award (second class) of China, 2005 & 2010
- Natural Science Award (first class) by Ministry of Education of China, 2002, 2008, 2011
- Technical Innovation Award (first class) by Ministry of Education of China, 2007, 2016
- Xu Zhilun Mechanics Prize by Xu Zhilun Education Foundation, 2011
- The National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of China, 2000
Author of 5 monographs and over 300 papers in peer-reviewed journals in multiple fields such as mechanics, materials and physics. He is among the Elsevier most cited Chinese researchers for five consecutive years.
- Wei K, Chen H, Pei Y, Fang DN, "Planar lattices with tailorable coefficient of thermal expansion and high stiffness based on dual- material triangle unit". Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 86:173-191, 2016.
- Zhao Z, Wu JT, Mu XM, Chen HS, Qi HJ, and Fang Daining, "Origami by frontal photopolymerization". Science Advances, 3(4):e1602326, 2017.
- Guo Y, Ruan Q, Zhu S, Wei Q, Chen H, Lu J, Hu B, Wu X, Li Y, and Fang DN, “Temperature rise associated with adiabatic shear band: causality clarified”. Physical Review Letters, 122:015503, 2019.
- Zhang H, Guo XG, Wu J, Fang DN, and Zhang YH, "Soft mechanical metamaterials with unusual swelling behavior and tunable stress-strain curves", Science Advances, 4(6):eaar8535, 2018.
- Bao YH, Han Y, Yang L, Li N, Luo JD, Qu WJ, Chen RJ, Jen AK-Y, Li T, Chen HS, Song WL, and Fang DN, Bioinspired Controllable Electro-Chemomechanical Coloration Films. Advanced Functional Materials, 29(2): 1806383, 2018.
- Lu W, Fang DN, and Hwang KC, "Nonlinear electric-mechanical behavior and micromechanics modelling of ferroelectric domain evolution". Acta Materialia, 47(10):2913-2926, 1999.
- Sun Y, Fang DN, and Soh AK, "Thermoelastic damping in micro-beam resonators". International Journal of Solids and Structures, 43(10):3213-3229, 2006.
- Fang DN and Li CQ, "Nonlinear electric-mechanical behavior of a soft PZT-51 ferroelectric ceramic". Journal of Materials Science, 34(16):4001-4010, 1999.
- Fang DN, Liu B, and Sun CT, "Fatigue crack growth in ferroelectric ceramics driven by alternating electric fields". Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 87(5):840-846, 2004.
- Fang DN and Liu JX, "Fracture Mechanics of Piezoelectric and Ferroelectric Solids", THU-Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2012.