•M.S., Applied Chemistry, Harbin Institute of Technology
•Ph.D., Materials Science, Harbin Institute of Technology
Interdisciplinary fields including Materials Science, Chemistry, Nanotechnology, Nanomedicine, and Biology:
* Synthesis, self-organization, integrated functionalization of nanomaterials.
* Applications of nanomaterials in imaging and drug delivery.
* Design and synthesis of energy materials for Li-ion Battery and fuel cells.
The overall objective of the research in the Hou group is focused on controlled synthesis of magnetic multi-functional nanomaterials and further the understanding of nanomagnetism and related properties and potential applications.
In general, magnetic properties of nanocrystals strongly depends on their dimension, shape and size, etc. We are using high temperature organic phase to accurately control the nuclear and growth processes of nanocrystals to achieve the synthesis of monodisperse magnetic nanocrystals with designed shape, size and morphology. And then, we study the magnetic properties of these magnetic nanomaterials and further understand nanomagnetism.
In this laboratory we are studying multifunctional nanomaterials based on magnetic nanocrystals, and understanding the interactions of assembled units, intrinsic and novel properties derived from diverse units in the products. We are also interested in the potential applications, such as MRI, drug delivery and nanocatalysis, of these multifunctional nanomaterials.
Professional Honors and Awards
- 2014 Leading Talent of Young Scientist (MOST)
- 2014 PKU Excellent Supervisor Award for Doctorial Thesis
- 2013 Young Scientist Award of CCS-RSC
- 2012 Greenery Biomedicine Outstanding Young Researcher
- 2011 Mao Yisheng Science and Technology Award for Young Talents in Beijing
- 2011 National Outstanding Young Researcher Award supported by NSFC
- 2010 Outstanding Scientist Award, SCOPUS, Elsevier
- 2009 New Century Outstanding Talent Award, MOE in China
- 2009 University Young Scholar (Fok Ying Tung) Award
- 2009 Beijing Outstanding Talent Award
- 2008 Beijing Rising Star of Science and Technology Award
- 2003 JSPS Fellow (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science)
- Guest Editor: Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Editorial Board Member: Scientific Reports (NPG), Advanced Science (Wiley), Science China Materials, Rare Metals, etc
- Board members of CSBM, C-MRS; Members of AAAS, MRS and ACS.
Selected Recent Publications
- F. Liu, Y. Hou, and S. Gao, Exchange-coupled Nanocomposites: Chemical Synthesis, Characterization and Applications, Chem. Soc. Rev. 2014, 43, 8098-8113.
- Q.Li, N. Mahmood, J. Zhu, Y. Hou, S. Sun, Graphene and its Composites with Nanoparticles for Electrochemical Energy Applications, Nano Today 2014, 9, 668-683
- J. Yu, C. Yang, J. Li, Y. Ding, L. Zhang, M. Z. Yousaf, J. Li., R. Pang, L. Wei, L. Xu, F. Sheng, C. Li, G. Li, L. Zhao, and Y. Hou, Multifunctional Fe5C2 Nanoparticles: a Targeted Theranostic Platform for Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Photoacoustic Tomography-Guided Photothermal Therapy, Adv Mater. 2014, 26, 4114-4120.
- F. Liu, J. Zhu, W. Yang, Y. Dong, and Y. Hou, C. Zhang, H. Yin and S. Sun* Building Nanocomposite Magnets by Coating a Hard Magnetic Core with a Soft Magnetic Shell, Angew. Chem. Int. Edit. 2014, 53, 2176- 2180.
- H. Yin, C. Zhang, F. Liu, and Y. Hou, Hybrid of Iron Nitride and Nitrogen-Doped Graphene Aerogel as Synergistic Catalyst for Oxygen Reduction Reaction, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2014, 24, 2930-2937.
- C. Zhang, N. Mahmood, H. Yin, F. Liu and Y. Hou, Synthesis of Phosphorus-Doped Graphene and its Multifunctional Applications for Oxygen Reduction Reaction and Lithium Ion Batteries. Adv. Mater. 2013, 25, 4932-4937.
- N. Mahmood, C. Zhang, F. Liu, J. Zhu and Y. Hou, Hybrid of Co3Sn2@Co Nanoparticles and Nitrogen-Doped Graphene as a Lithium Ion Battery Anode, ACS Nano 2013, 9, 10307–10318.
- C. Yang, H. Zhao, Y. Hou, D. Ma, Fe5C2 Nanoparticles: A Facile Bromide-induced Synthesis and as an Active Phase for Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis (FTS), J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 15814–15821.
- R. Hao, R.Xing, Z. Xu, Y. Hou, S. Gao, S. Sun. Synthesis, Functionalization and Biomedical Applications of Multifunctional Magnetic Nanoparticles. Adv. Mater. 2010, 22, 2729-2742.
- Y. Hou, Z. Xu, S. Sun. Size-controllable FeO nanocubes and their chemical conversions. Angew. Chem. Int. Edit. 2007, 46, 6329-6332.
- C. Wang, Y. Hou, J. Kim, S. Sun. A general strategy for synthesizing FePt nanowires and nanorods. Angew. Chem. Int. Edit. 2007, 46, 6333-6335.
- Y. Hou, Z. Xu, S. Peng, C. Rong, J. P. Liu, S. Sun. A facile synthesis of SmCo5 magnets from core/Shell Co/Sm2O3 nanoparticles. Adv. Mater. 2007, 19, 3349-3352.