1984 BA Optical Engineering, Hua-Zhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
1987 MS Electrical Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
1990 Ph. D Electrical Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
Research Areas and Interests
1. Molecular Imaging
2. Vision and Ophthalmic Technologies
3. Biomedical Optics and Laser Medicine
Prof. Ren's main research interests include: Multi-modality Molecular Imaging, Vision and Ophthalmic Technologies, Biomedical Optics and Laser Medicine.
In the field of Molecular Imaging, Prof. Ren developed some key technologies with novel molecular imaging probes and instrumentation. He successfully devised a hybrid system that integrated CT, PET, SPECT, and Optical Fluorescence Molecular Tomography (FMT) Quad-modality imaging system for small animals. This imaging system provided a versatile research platform for biomedical research and new drug development. Using this newly developed system with novel multi-modal molecular imaging probes, Prof. Ren and his team is currently studying the biological behavior of different sub-types of the cancer cell for personalized cancer diagnosis and treatment. One of Prof. Ren’s contribution to the Chinese medical society was the successful development of the first 64-sliced PET/CT medical imaging system for clinical application in China. Under his leadership, an academic-industrial consortium was established and led to such a successful development which received Chinese Food and Drug Administration (CFDA) approval for commercialization in February, 2014. Because of his accomplishment, Prof. Ren and his team was received the National Innovative Research Group Award in Molecular Imaging selected by National Natural Science Foundation of China in July, 2014. Currently, he is the leading scientist in charge of USD150million project to establish Shenzhen Advanced Multi-Modality Imaging Center for Precision Medicine, the major research infra-structure funded by Shenzhen government to promote and facilitate the biomedical and clinical research in China Big Bay area.
In the field of vision and ophthalmic technologies, Prof. Ren developed an optic nerve based visual prosthesis for visual function recovery to the patients with Retina Pigmentosa (RP), Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD), and other visual disabilities. Under China Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) Key Research Grant (973 Grant) Support, he led a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers conducted a series of animal experiments, proofed the feasibility and effectiveness of the method and the device, and has established a research platform for implantable neural visual prosthesis, which includes bio-electronic device R & D and testing lab for implantable neural stimulators, electrodes encapsulation and biocompatibility testing lab, visual information processing lab, visual function evaluation lab, and so on, which laid a solid foundation for the clinical study. Currently, the optic nerve based visual prosthesis is undergone some biocompatibility and reliability testing for human clinical study. To evaluate the functionality of the retina, Prof. Ren also developed a novel multispectral and multi-modality retina functional imaging system that allows non-invasive functional imaging and analysis of the blood vessels in human retina. The system will provide the quantitative measure and distribution map of the oxygen saturation level、blood flow、blood vessel dilation、and heart-pulse wave propagation speed along the blood vessel before and after visual stimulation to the eye. This system provides a very effective tool for better studying, understanding and detection of early visual defects such as diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, etc., and better monitoring and prognoses of chronical diseases such as stroke, small-vascular brain diseases, hypertension, etc. Under Prof. Ren’s leadership, a multi-center clinical studies are under way with such novel functional retina imaging system.
In the field of Biomedical Optics and Laser Medicine, Prof. Ren studied laser-tissue interaction mechanisms and developed several new minimal invasive laser surgical devices. He was one of the first to demonstrate that the 213nm laser wavelength generated by 5th harmonic of Q-switched Nd:YAG laser could be a solid-state laser alternative to excimer laser for corneal refractive surgery. This discovery has led to the development of several solid state laser based systems for refractive surgery that were commercialized successfully for the past 15 years. Prof. Ren also studied the mechanism of skin collagen restructuring and regeneration induced by laser treatments. Based on these studies, Prof. Ren helped to found several companies that developed a series of dermatological laser systems with worldwide commercialization.
Prof. Ren has also made significant contribution to international education activities in Biomedical Engineering. Under his leadership, Department of Biomedical Engineering at Peking University (PKU) has built a strong and comprehensive partnership with the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, which leads to the establishment of the unique Joint Ph.D. Degree program that pioneered the way the future world-class biomedical engineers are trained. The students in this program are required to have two advisors: one from each campus, take the same core and selective courses approved by the joint BME graduate academic committee, and perform at least 1 year of research in the guest campus with complimentary research subjects. After fulfilling all the requirements for the Ph.D degree, the students in the joint program will receive a single Ph. D diploma granted by three partner universities: Peking University, Georgia Institute of Technology, and Emory University. Up to now, over 50 BME graduate students from both campuses have enrolled in this program over the past 5 years, and so far, 6 students from this program were successfully receive their joint Ph.D. degrees. This joint Ph.D. program is the first join-PhD program and so far the only one approved by the Commission of High Education in China.
Prof. Ren has been playing a very active role in IEEE/EMBS Society’s activities and services. He is the associate editor for IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine (TITB), and has served numerous IEEE Conferences or Symposia committee members.
Prof. Ren has published over 150 journal papers, co-edited 3 proceeding books, served as conference co-chairs of SPIE/Ophthalmic Technology Symposium in 1993, 1994, 1995. He has developed a number of specialized medical equipment, authored two US patents and over 50 Chinese patents. He received National Outstanding Young Scientist Award from the National Natural Science Foundation of China in January, 2006, Chang-Jiang Scholar Professorship from the Chinese Ministry of Education in March, 2007. In 2012, he became the Fellow in the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering's (AIMBE) College of Fellows. In December 2014, he was selected as the Fellow in the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE).
Selected Recent Publications
- Zhiming Li, Peng Huang, Xuejun Zhang, Jing Lin, Sen Yang, Bing Liu, Feng Gao, Peng Xi, Qiushi Ren, Daxiang Cui. RGD-conjugated dendrimer-modified gold nanorods for in vivo tumor targeting and photothermal therapy. MOLECULAR PHARMACEUTICS, 7 (1):94-104, 2010.
- Teng Luo, Peng Huang, Guo Gao, Guangxia Shen, Shen Fu, Daxiang Cui, Chuanqing Zhou, and Qiushi Ren. Mesoporous silica-coated gold nanorods with embedded indocyanine green for dual mode X-ray CT and NIR fluorescence imaging. Optics Express, 19(18): 17030-17039, 2011.
- Xu W, Luo T, Li P, Zhou C, Cui D, Pang B, Ren Q, Fu S. RGD-conjugated gold nanorods induce radiosensitization in melanoma cancer cells by downregulating αvβ3 expression. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 7:915-924, 2012.
- Xu W, Luo T, Pang B, Li P, Zhou C, Huang P, Zhang C, Ren Q, Fu S. The radiosensitization of melanoma cells by gold nanorods irradiated with MV X-ray. Nano Biomed Eng. 4:6-11, 2012.
- Qiushi Zhang, Yanye Lu, Kun Yang, Qiushi Ren, Position mapping and a uniformity correction method for small-animal SPECT based on connected regional recognition, Nucl Instrum Meth A. 2013;704:1-6.
- Zhang, Q., Lu, Y., Yang, K., & Ren, Q. (2013). Position mapping and a uniformity correction method for small-animal SPECT based on connected regional recognition. Nuclear Instruments & Methods in Physics Research, 704(4), 1–6.
- Zhang, Q., Zhang, C., Lu, Y., Yang, K., & Ren, Q. (2013). Progress in the development of CdZnTe unipolar detectors for different anode geometries and data corrections. Sensors, 13(2), 2447.
- Li, S., Zhang, Q., Xie, Z., Liu, Q., Xu, B., Yang, K. & Ren, Q, et al. (2015). Gate simulation of a lyso-based spect imager: validation and detector optimization. Nuclear Instruments & Methods in Physics Research, 773(773), 21-26.
- Lu, Y., Yang, K., Zhou, K., Zhang, Q., Pang, B., & Ren, Q. (2014). Development of a SiPM-based PETimaging system for small animals. Nuclear Instruments & Methods in Physics Research, 743(8), 30–38.
- Wang, H., Sun, H., Wei, H., Xi, P., Nie, S., & Ren, Q. (2014). Biocompatible hyaluronic acid polymer-coated quantum dots for Cd44+ cancer cell-targeted imaging. Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 16(10), 1-13.
- Wang, G., Zhang, B., Ding, Y., He, Y., Chen, J. Lu, Y., & Ren, Q. et al. (2015). A modularly designed fluorescence molecular tomography system for multi-modality imaging. Journal of X-ray science and technology, 23(2), 147-56.
- Li, S., Zhou, K., Zhang, Q., Zhang, J., Yang, K., & Xu, B., & Ren, Q et al. (2015). Performance tests for Ray-Scan 64 PET/CT based on NEMA NU-2 2007. Journal of Instrumentation, 10(3), P03016-P03016.
- Vuletic, I., Liu, J., Wu, H., Ding, Y., Yu, L., & Li, C., & Ren, Q et al. (2015). Establishment of an mkate2-expressing cell line for non-invasive real-time breast cancer in vivo imaging. Molecular Imaging & Biology, the Official Publication of the Academy of Molecular Imaging, 17(6), 811.
- Zhou K, Tian J, Meng X, Yang K, Xu B, Yang Z, Ren Q. A Novel Scatter Correction Method for Cone-Beam Computed Tomography [J]. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, 2016, 40(4): 632-8.
- Zhou K, Huang Y, Meng X, Li Z, Li S, Yang K, Ren Q. A New Method for Cone-Beam Computed Tomography Geometric Parameters Estimation [J]. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, 2016, 40(4): 639-48.
- Xie, Z., Li, S., Yang, K., Xu, B., & Ren, Q. (2016). Evaluation of a wobbling method applied to correcting defective pixels of CZT detectors in SPECT imaging. Sensors, 16(6), 772.
- Vuletic I, Zhou K, Li H, Bai H, Meng X, Zhu S, Ding Y, Li J, Sun H, Ren Q. Validation of Bevacizumab Therapy Effect on Colon Cancer Subtypes by Using Whole Body Imaging in Mice [J]. Molecular Imaging and Biology, 2017, 19(6): 847-56.
- Xie Q, Zhu H, Wang F, Meng X, Ren Q, Xia C, Yang Z. Establishing Reliable Cu-64 Production Process: From Target Plating to Molecular Specific Tumor Micro-PET Imaging. Molecules. 2017; 22(4):641.
- Xie ZH, Li SY, Zhou K, Vuletic I, Meng XX, Zhu SH, Xu H, Yang K, Xu BX, Zhang JM, Ren QS. PKU-PET-II: A novel SiPM-based PET imaging system for small animals [J]. Nucl Instrum Methods Phys, 2018, 877(104-11).
- Yanye Lu, Markus Kowarschik, Xiaolin Huang, Shuqing Chen, Qiushi Ren, Rebecca Fahrig, Joachim Hornegger and Andreas Maier. Material Decomposition Using Ensemble Learning for Spectral X-ray Imaging. IEEE Transactions on Radiation and Plasma Medical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 194-204, 2018.
- Yanye Lu, Markus Kowarschik, Xiaolin Huang, Yan Xia, Jang-Hwan Choi, Shuqing Chen, Shiyang Hu, Qiushi Ren, Rebecca Fahrig, Joachim Hornegger and Andreas Maier. A Learning-based Material Decomposition Pipeline for Multi-energy X-ray Imaging. Medical Physics, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 689-703, 2019
- Xiangxi Meng, Yi Du, Ruoxi Wang, Ziyuan Li, Sihao Zhu, Hao Wu, Changhui Li, Weiqiang Chen, Shuming Nie, Qiushi Ren, Yanye Lu. Cherenkov Excited Luminescence Imaging Induced by Megavolt X-ray Beams in the Second Near-Infrared Window. Optics Communications, 2019;145:417-421
Vision and Ophthalmic Technology
- Q.S. Ren, R.P. Gailitis, K.P. Thompson, and J.T. Lin. Ablation of the Cornea and Synthetic Collagen Using a UV (213nm) Solid State Laser. IEEE J. Quant. Electron. Special Issue on Lasers in Medicine and Biology, 26:2284-2288, 1990.
- Q.S. Ren, and R. Birngruber. Axicon: A New Laser Beam Delivery System for Cornel Sugery. IEEE J. Quant. Electron. Special Issue on Lasers in Medicine and Surgery, 26:2305-2308, 1990.
- Q.S. Ren, V. Venugopalan, K. Schomaker, T.F. Deutsch, T.J. Flott, C.A. Puliafito, R. and Birngruber. Mid-Infrared Laser Ablation of the Cornea: A Comparative Study. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 12:274-281, 1992.
- G Simon, RH Small, QS Ren, and JM Parel. Effect of Corneal Hydration on Goldmann Applanation Tonometry and Corneal Topography. Refractive and Corneal Surgery, 9:110-117, 1993.
- QS Ren, G Simon, JM Parel, J.M. Parel and Smiddy W. Laser Scleral Buckling For Retinal Reattachment. Am. J. Ophthalmol, 115:758-762, 1993.
- QS Ren, G Simon, JM Parel. Ultraviolet Solid-State Laser (213-nm) Photorefractive Keratectomy: In Vitro Study. Ophthalmology, 100:1828-1834, 1993.
- QS Ren, G Simon, JM Legeais, JM Parel, W Culbertson, JH Shen, Y Takesue, M Savoldelli. Ultraviolet Solid-State Laser (213-nm) Photorefractive Keratectomy: In Vivo Study. Ophthalmology, 101:883-889, 1994.
- QS Ren, Simon G, Parel JM. Noncontact Laser Photothermal Keratoplasty III: Histolopathological Study in Animal Eyes. J. Refract Corneal Surg. 10:529-539, 1994.
- QS Ren, RH Keates, A Hill, Berns M. Laser Refractive Surgery: A Review and Current Status. Opt. Eng.,34: 642-660, 1995.
- Hong Guo, Nina Korablinova, Qiushi Ren, Josef Bille. Wavefront reconstruction with artificial neural networks. Optics Express, 14 (14): 6456-6462, 2006.
- Chuanqing Zhou，Xinyu Chai, Li Yuan and Yanling He, Qiushi Ren. Corneal High-Order Aberration after Aberration-free Aspheric Ablation and Conventional Ablation for Myopic Correction. Current Eye Research, 32(5):431-438, 2007.
- Chuanqing Zhou, Min Jin, Xiaoyuan Wang, Qiushi Ren. Corneal Wavefront-guided Ablation With the Schwind ESIRSIS laser for myopia. Journal of Refractive Surgery, 23(6):573-580, 2007.
- Zhou Chuanqing, Wang Weichao, Yang Kun, Chai Xinyu, Ren Qiushi. Measurement and comparison of the optical performance of an ophthalmic lens based on a Hartmann-Shack wavefront sensor in real viewing conditions. Applied Optics, 47(34): 6434-6441, 2008.
- Yu Xia, Xinyu Chai, Chuanqing Zhou, Qiushi Ren. Corneal nerve morphology and sensitivity changes after ultraviolet A/riboflavin treatment. Experimental Eye Research, 93(4):541-7, 2011.
- Xia Y, Tao C, Zhou C, Ren Q. Synergistic Effects of Ultraviolet A/Riboflavin and Glucose on Corneal Collagen Cross-linking. Journal of Refractive Surgery. 2011; 27:216-222
- Cuixia Dai, Chuanqing Zhou, Shanhui Fan, Zhe Chen, Xinyu Chai, Qiushi Ren, and Shuliang Jiao. Optical coherence tomography for whole eye segment imaging. Optics Express, Vol. 20, Issue 6, pp. 6109-6115, 2012.
- Tao, C., Han, Z., Sun, Y., Zhou, C., Roberts, C. J., & Zhou, D., Ren, Q. (2013). Corneal hysteresis with intraocular pressure of a wide range: a test on porcine eyes. Journal of Refractive Surgery, 29(12), 850-854.
- Tao, C., Sun, Y., Zhou, C., Han, Z., & Ren, Q. (2013). Effects of collagen cross-linking on the interlamellar cohesive strength of porcine cornea. Cornea, 32(2), 169-73.
- Han, Z., Sui, X., Zhou, D., Zhou, C., & Ren, Q. (2013). Biomechanical and refractive behaviors of keratoconic cornea based on three-dimensional anisotropic hyperelastic models. Journal of Refractive Surgery, 29(4), 282-290.
- Sun, Y., Fan, S., Zheng, H., Dai, C., Ren, Q., & Zhou, C. (2014). Noninvasive imaging and measurement of accommodation using dual-channel SD-OCT. Current Eye Research, 39(6), 611.
- Han, Z., Tao, C., Zhou, D., Sun, Y., Zhou, C., & Ren, Q., et al. (2014). Air puff induced corneal vibrations: theoretical simulations and clinical observations. Journal of Refractive Surgery, 30(3), 208-213.
- Fan, S., Sun, Y., Dai, C., Zheng, H., Ren, Q., & Jiao, S., et al. (2014). Accommodation-induced variations in retinal thickness measured by spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 19(9), 96012.
- Wu, N., Ye, S., Ren, Q., & Li, C. (2014). High-resolution dual-modality photoacoustic ocular imaging. Optics Letters, 39(8), 2451.
- Fan, S., Lin, L., Qian, L., Dai, C., Ren, Q., & Jiao, S., et al. (2015). Dual band dual focus optical coherence tomography for imaging the whole eye segment. Biomedical Optics Express, 6(7), 2481.
- Li P, Huang Z, Yang S, Liu X, Ren Q. Adaptive classifier allows enhanced flow contrast in OCT angiography using a histogram-based motion threshold and 3D Hessian analysis-based shape filtering [J]. Optics Letter, 2017, 42(23): 4816-9.
- Zekuan Yu, Qing Xiang, Jiahao Meng, Caixia Kou, Qiushi Ren, Yanye Lu. Retinal Image Synthesis from Multiple-Landmarks Input with Generative Adversarial Networks. Biomedical Engineering Online. 2019;18(1):62.
- Xi Liu, Zhiyu Huang, Zhenzhou Wang, Chenyao Wen, Zhe Jiang, Zekuan Yu, Jingfeng Liu, Gangjun Liu, Xiaolin Huang, Andreas Maier, Qiushi Ren, Yanye Lu. A Deep Learning Based Pipeline for Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography. Journal of Biophotonics, 2019; 12:e201900008.
- Bin Qiu, Zhiyu Huang, Xi Liu, Xiangxi Meng, Yunfei You, Gangjun Liu, Kun Yang, Andreas Maier, Qiushi Ren, Yanye Lu. Noise Reduction in Optical Coherence Tomography Images Using a Deep Neural Network with Perceptually-Sensitive Loss Function. Biomedical Optics Express, Vol. 11, Issue 2, pp. 817-830, 2020
- Zhe Jiang, Zhiyu Huang, Bin Qiu, Xi Liu, Xiangxi Meng, Yunfei You, Gangjun Liu, Chuanqing Zhou, Kun Yang, Andreas Maier, Qiushi Ren, Yanye Lu. A Comparative Study of Deep Learning Models for Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography. Biomedical Optics Express, Accepted
Visual Prosthesis for Blindness
- Xinyu Chai, Liming Li, Kaijie Wu, Chuanqing Zhou, Pengjia Cao, Qiushi Ren. C-Sight Visual Prostheses for the Blind:Optic nerve stimulation with penetrating electrode array. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, 2008, 27(5):20-28.
- Liming Li, Pengjia Cao, Mingjie Sun, Xinyu Chai, Kaijie Wu, Xun Xu, Xiaoxin Li, Qiushi Ren. Intraorbital optic nerve stimulation with penetrating electrodes: in vivo electrophysiology study in rabbits. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol, 247(3):349-361, 2009.
- C S Cai, L M Li, X L Li, P P Chen, X Y Chai and Q S Ren. Response properties of electrically evoked potential elicited by multi-channel penetrative optic nerve stimulation in rabbits. Doc Ophthalmol, 118:191-204, 2009.
- Xiaoliang Li, Changsi Cai, Liming Li, Xinyu Chai, Qiushi Ren. A Low-Hemorrhage-Risk Surgical Approach to Expose the Optic Nerve in Rabbits without Bony Removal and Rectus Resection. Veterinary Ophthalmology, 12(4):227-233, 2009.
- Leilei Zhang, Xinyu Chai, Shu Ling, Jin Fan, Kun Yang, Qiushi Ren. Dispersion and Accuracy of Simulated Phosphene Positioning Using Tactile Board. Artificial Organs, 33(12):1109-1116, 2009.
- Zhou Hong-Bo, Li Gang, Sun Xiao-Na, Zhu Zhuang-Hui, Jin Qing-Hui, Zhao Jian-Long, Ren Qiu-Shi. Integration of Au Nanorods With Flexible Thin-Film Microelectrode Arrays for Improved Neural Interfaces. Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 18(1):88-96, 2009.
- Zhou Hong-Bo, Li Gang, Sun Xiao-Na, Zhu Zhuang-Hui, Lou Xin-Hui, Zhang Hua, Liang Ting, Jin Qing-Hui, Zhao Jian-Long, Ren Qiu-Shi. Fabrication of Pyramid-Shaped Three-Dimensional Flexible Microelectrode Array for Improved Neural Interfacing. Sensor Letters, 7(1), pp 96-103, 2009.
- Chuanqing Zhou, Chen Tao, Xinyu Chai, Yong Sun, and Qiushi Ren. Implantable Imaging System for Visual Prosthesis. Artificial Organs, 34(6):518-522, 2010.
- Jingjing Sun, Yiliang Lu, Pengjia Cao, Xiaoliang Li, Changsi Cai, Xinyu Chai, Qiushi Ren, and Liming Li. Spatiotemporal Properties of Multi-peaked Electrically Evoked Potentials Elicited by Penetrative Optic Nerve Stimulation in Rabbits. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci., 52 (1):146-154, 2011
- Ying Zhao, Yanyu Lu, Cong Dai, Chuanqing Zhou, Qiushi Ren, Xinyu Chai. Chinese character recognition using simulated phosphene maps. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science (IOVS), 2011, 52(6):3404-3412.
- Changsi Cai, Qiushi Ren, Neal J. Desai, Joseph F. Rizzo III, and Shelley I. Fried. Response variability to high rates of electric stimulation in retinal ganglion cells. Journal of Neurophysiology, 106(1):153-162, 2011.
- Yanyu Lu, Jin Fan, Chuanqing Zhou, Ying Zhao, Cong Dai, Chen Tao, Qiushi Ren, Xinyu Chai. Estimating the position of simulated phosphenes using a tactile guide. Seeing and Perceiving, 24(2) 125-140, 2011.
- Ying Zhao, Yanyu Lu, Ji Zhao, Kaihu Wang, Qiushi Ren, Kaijie Wu, Xinyu Chai. Reading Pixelized Paragraphs of Chinese Characters using Simulated Prosthetic Vision. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science (IOVS), 52(8):5987-5994, 2011.
- Yiliang Lu, Pengjia Cao, Jingjing Sun, Jing Wang, Liming Li, Qiushi Ren, Yao Chen, Xinyu Chai. Using independent component analysis to remove artifacts in visual cortex responses elicited by electrical stimulation of the optic nerve. Journal of Neural Engineering, 9(2) : 026002, 2012.
- Sui X, Sun J, Li L, Zhou C, Luo X, Xia N, Yan Y, Chen S, Ren Q, Chai X. Evaluation of a MEMS-based dual metal-layer thin-film microelectrode array for suprachoroidal electrical stimulation. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2012, 21(4): 524-531 .
- Liang T, Zhao L, Sui X, Zhou C, Ren Q, Qi Y. Threshold Suprachoroidal-Transretinal Stimulation Current Required by Different-Size Electrodes in Rabbit Eyes. Ophthalmic Res. 45:113-121, 2011.
- Liu W, Song Z, Mo Y, Wang W, Sui X, Gong Y, Jiang Y, Zhang Y, Huang J, Gu Q, Li G, Zhou C, Yu Z, Ren Q, Sun X, Wang F. In vitro Biocompatibility of a Platinum-Electrode Embedded Photosensitive Polyimide (Durimide) Retinal Prosthesis. Current Eye Resesarch. 37:1036-1044, 2012.
- Li M, Yan Y, Wang Q, Zhao H, Chai X, Sui X, Ren Q. A simulation of current focusing and steering with penetrating optic nerve electrodes. J Neural Eng, 2013, 10(6): 066007
- Lu Y, Yan Y, Chai X, Ren Q, Chen Y. Electrical stimulation with a penetrating optic nerve electrode array elicits visuotopic cortical responses in cats. J Neural Eng, 2013, 10(3): 036022
- Sun J, Chen Y, Chai X, Ren Q. Penetrating electrode stimulation of the rabbit optic nerve: parameters and effects on evoked cortical potentials. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol, 2013, 251(11): 2545-54
- Yanyu Lu, Han Kan, Jie Liu, Jing Wang, Chen Tao, Yao Chen, Jie Hu, Qiushi Ren, Xinyu Chai. Optimizing Chinese characters display for improving the performance of recognition and reading under simulated irregular phosphene maps. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2013, 54(4):2918-2926.
- Sui XH, Sun JJ, Li LM, Zhou CQ, Luo XJ, Xia NS, Yan Y, Chen Y, Ren QS, Chai XY. Evaluation of a MEMS-based dual metal-layer thin-film microelectrode array for suprachoroidal electrical stimulation. IEEE Trans. Neur. Sys. Rehab. Eng., 2013, 21(4): 524-531
- Li, S., Hu, J., Chai, X., Ren, Q., & Peng, Y. (2012). Research on and design of visual prosthesis based on visual information processing. Journal of Biomedical Engineering, 29(4), 754.
- Lu, Y., Cao, P., Sun, J., Wang, J., Li, L., & Ren, Q., et al. (2012). Using independent component analysis to remove artifacts in visual cortex responses elicited by electrical stimulation of the optic nerve. Journal of neural engineering, 9(2), 026002.
- Xia Y, Peng X, Ren Q. Retinitis pigmentosa patients' attitudes toward participation in retinal prosthesis trials[J]. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2012, 33(4):628.
- Lu, Y., Yan, Y., Chai, X., Ren, Q., Chen, Y., & Li, L. (2013). Electrical stimulation with a penetrating optic nerve electrode array elicits visuotopic cortical responses in cats. Journal of Neural Engineering, 10(3), 036022.
- Jiang, X., Sui, X., Lu, Y., Yan, Y., Zhou, C., & Li, L., Ren, Q. (2013). In vitro and in vivo evaluation of a photosensitive polyimide thin-film microelectrode array suitable for epiretinal stimulation. Journal of Neuroengineering & Rehabilitation, 10(1), 48.
- Li, M., Yan, Y., Wang, Q., Zhao, H., Chai, X., & Sui, X., Ren, Q. (2013). A simulation of current focusing and steering with penetrating optic nerve electrodes. Journal of Neural Engineering, 10(6), 066007-066007.
- Sui, X., Sun, J., Li, L., Zhou, C & Ren, Q. (2012). Evaluation of a MEMS-based dual metal-layer thin-film microelectrode array for suprachoroidal electrical stimulation[J]. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 2012, 21(4): 524-531.
- Yu X, Ren Q. Ethical Considerations for Volunteer Recruitment of Visual Prosthesis Trials[J]. Science & Engineering Ethics, 2012, 19(3):1099-1106.
- Lu, Y., Kan, H., Liu, J., Wang, J., Tao, C., & Ren, Q , et al. (2013). Optimizing chinese character displays improves recognition and reading performance of simulated irregular phosphene maps. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 54(4), 2918-2926.
- Cao, P., Sun, J., Yan, Y., Yao, C., Chai, X., & Sun, X., & Ren, Q et al. (2015). Properties of electrically evoked potentials activated by optic nerve stimulation with penetrating electrodes of different modes in rabbits. Graefes Archive for Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology, 253(12), 2171-2180.
- Yan Y, Lu Y, Li M, Ma Z, Cao P, Chen Y, Sun X, Chai X, Ren Q, Li L. Electrically Evoked Responses in the Rabbit Cortex Induced by Current Steering With Penetrating Optic Nerve Electrodes [J]. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 2016, 57(14): 6327-38.
Biomedical Optics and Laser Medicine
- RA Hill, QS Ren, DC Nguyen, et al. Free-Electron laser (FEL) Ablation of Ocular Tissues. LASERS IN MEDICAL SCIENCE, 13(3): 219-226, 1998.
- Dang Yongyan, Ren Qiushi, Liu Huaxu, Ma Jingbo, Zhang Jinsheng. Effects of the 1,320-nm Nd : YAG laser on transepidermal water loss, histological changes, and collagen remodeling in skin. Lasers in Medical Science, 21(3):147-152(6), 2006.
- Dang Yongyan, Ren Qiushi, Li Wanrong, Yang Qing & Zhang Jinsheng. Comparison of biophysical properties of skin measured by using non-invasive techniques in the KM mice following 595 nm pulsed dye, 1064 nm Q-Switched Nd:YAG and 1320 nm Nd:YAG laser non-ablative rejuvenation. Skin Research and Technology, 12 (2):119-125, 2006.
- H Liu, Y Dang, X Chai, Z Wang, L Ma, Q Ren. Treatment of port wines stains with 595nm pulsed dye laser: a pilot study in Chinese patients. Clinical and experimental dermatology, 32(6): 646-649, 2007.
- Huaxu Liu and Yongyan Dang, Zhan Wang, Xinyu Chai and Qiushi Ren. Laser Induced Collagen Remodeling: A Comparative Study In Vivo on Mouse Model. lasers in surgery and medicine, 40(1):13-19, 2008.
- Cheng Wang, Jin Fan, Qiushi Ren. Visible light reflectance spectrum for measurement of cancerous tissue. SPECTROSCOPY AND SPECTRAL ANALYSIS, 28(1):33-36,2008
- W. Wang, K. Zhang, Q. Ren and J.U. Kang. Comparison of different focusing systems for common-path optical coherence tomography with fiber-optic bundle as endoscopic probe. Optical Engineering, 48(10):103001, 2009.
- W. Wang, Y. Liu, P. Xi, Q. Ren. The origin and effect of high-order dispersion in ultrashort pulse multiphoton microscopy in 10 femtosecond regime. Applied Optics, 49(35):6703-6709, 2010.
- H. Wang, X. Xu, X. Li, P. Xi*, Q. Ren. Systematic design of a cross-polarized dermoscope for visual inspection and digital imaging. IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Magazine, 14(6):26-31, 2011.
- HUANG Zhen, ZHOU Dai, REN Qiu-shi, Biomechanical Properties and Modeling of Skin with Laser Influence, Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University(Science), 2011, 16(5): 610-613.
- Shuoqi Ye, Ran Yang, Jingwei Xiong, K. Kirk Shung, Qifa Zhou, Changhui Li, and Qiushi Ren. Label-free imaging of zebrafish larvae in vivo by photoacoustic microscopy. Biomedical Optics Express, 3(2): 360-365, 2012.
- Y. Ding, H. Xie, T. Peng, Y. Lu, D. Jin, J. Teng, Q. Ren, P. Xi*. Laser Oblique Scanning Optical Microscopy (LOSOM) for Phase Relief Imaging. Optics Express, 20 (13): 14100-14108, 2012.
- Zhao Q, Zhou C*, Wei H, He Y, Chai X, Ren Q. Ex vivo determination of glucose permeability and optical attenuation coefficient in normal and adenomatous human colon tissues using spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Journal of Biomedical Optics. 17(10):105004, 2012.
- Jiang X, Ge H, Zhou C, Chai X and Ren Q. The role of vascular endothelial growth factor in fractional laser resurfacing with the carbon dioxide laser. Lasers in Medical Science. 27(3):599-606, 2012.
- Xia Jiang, Hongmei Ge, Jianjun Liu, Qiu Shi Ren. Fractional scanned carbon dioxide laser induces collagen remodeling in murine dermis. Laser Physics. 2011; 21(3):548-553
- Shuoqi Ye, Junyu Yang, Jianzhong Xi, Qiushi Ren, and Changhui Li. Studying of murine hindlimb ischemia by photoacoustic microscopy. Chinese Optics Letters. 2012, 10(12): 121701-121701.
- T. Peng, H. Xie, Y. Ding, W. Wang, Z. Li, D. Jin, Y. Tang, Q. Ren, P. Xi*. CRAFT: multimodality confocal skin imaging for early cancer diagnosis. Journal of Biophotonics, 5(5-6):469-476, 2012.
- Zhao, Q., Zhou, C., Wei, H., He, Y., Chai, X., & Ren, Q. (2012). Ex vivo determination of glucose permeability and optical attenuation coefficient in normal and adenomatous human colon tissues using spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 17(10), 105004-105001.
- Deng, Z., Zhao, H., Ren, Q., & Li, C. (2013). Acoustically penetrable optical reflector for photoacoustic tomography. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 18(7), 070503.
- Ding, Y., Zhang, Y., Peng, T., Lu, Y., Jin, D., & Ren, Q., et al. (2013). Observation of mesenteric microcirculatory disturbance in rat by laser oblique scanning optical microscopy. Scientific Reports, 3(5), 1762.
- Zhao, Q., Li, L., Li, Q., Jiang, X., Ren, Q., & Chai, X., et al. (2014). Concentration dependence of optical clearing on the enhancement of laser-scanning optical-resolution photoacoustic microscopy imaging. Journal of biomedical optics, 19(3), 36019.
- Zhao, Q., Wei, H., He, Y., Ren, Q., & Zhou, C. (2014). Evaluation of ultrasound and glucose synergy effect on the optical clearing and light penetration for human colon tissue using SD-OCT. Journal of Biophotonics, 7(11‐12), 938-947.
- Ding, Y., Zhang, M., Lang, J., Leng, J., Ren, Q., & Yang, J., et al. (2015). In vivo study of endometriosis in mice by photoacoustic microscopy. Journal of Biophotonics, 8(1-2), 94.
- Zhe Jiang, Zekuan Yu, Yue Yu, Zhiyu Huang, Qiushi Ren, Changhui Li. Spatial resolution enhancement for pushbroom-based microscopic hyperspectral imaging [J]. Applied Optics, 2019, 58(4): 850-62.