•B.S., Nanjing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics
•M.S., South China University of Technology
•Ph.D., The University of Sydney
•Mechanics of Composite Materials
•Mechanics of Nanostructured Materials
•Mechanical/Physical Properties of Heterogeneous Media
Composite materials are widely and increasingly used in today’s industry; for example, most advanced airplanes are largely made of composite materials. Mechanics of composite materials is concerned with the understanding and prediction of deformation, failure and properties of heterogeneous materials. Natural biomaterials are also inherently heterogeneous. Mechanics of biomaterials is coupled with their functions; and natural biomaterials are paradigms for design of engineering materials and structures with novel properties. Many fundamental and interesting problems of composite materials and biomaterials, which are essential to the design, good performance and integrity of modern engineering structures and products, remain to be explored.
The research of Jianxiang Wang group is focused on the following areas:
(1) prediction of effective mechanical properties such as elastic constants and overall stress-strain relations of composite materials and heterogeneous materials, including nanocomposites , particle-filled composites, short fibre-reinforced composites, and continuous fibre-reinforced composites;
(2) prediction of effective generalized conductivities (thermal, electric, etc) of heterogeneous media;
(3) microstructures and mechanics of biomaterials;
(4) damage and failure analyses of composite materials and structures in aerospace engineering and energy technology.
Professional Honors and Awards
•Excellent Teacher of Beijing (2009)
•Outstanding Youth Science Fund, awarded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (2005).
•Science and Technology Award for Young Investigators, awarded by the CSTAM (2002).
•Trans-Century Talent Fund, awarded by the State Education Ministry of China (2001).
•Member of Congress Committee of the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (IUTAM)
•Secretary General: The 23rd International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics of IUTAM (ICTAM2012, Beijing)
•Secretary General (2007-2010): Chinese Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (CSTAM)
•Secretary General (2007-2011): Beijing International Center for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (BICTAM)
•Editorial Board: Acta Mechanica Sinica, Advanced Modeling and Simulation in Engineering Sciences (Associate Editor), Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica (Associate Editor)
- Wang, L.J., Xu, J.F., Wang, J. 2019. Elastodynamics of linearized isotropic state-based peridynamic media. Journal of Elasticity 137, 157—176.
- Wang, L.J., Xu, J.F., Wang, J., and Karihaloo, B.L. 2019. A mechanism-based spatiotemporal non-local constitutive formulation for elastodynamics of composites. Mechanic of Materials 128: 105–116.
- Wang, L.J., Xu, J. and Wang, J. 2018. A peridynamic framework and simulation of non-Fourier and nonlocal heat conduction. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 118, 1284—1292.
- Du, F., Huang, J.Y., Duan, H.L., Xiong, C.Y. and Wang, J. 2018. Wetting transparency of supported graphene is regulated by polarities of liquids and substrates. Applied Surface Science 454, 249—255.
- Li, S., and Wang, J. 2018. The stress intensity factor and propagation of an inclined crack in the central layer of a composite laminate under tension. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics 93, 128—136.
- Wang, L.J., Chen, Y.S., Xu, J.F. and Wang, J. 2017. Transmitting boundary conditions for 1D peridynamics. International Journal of Numerical Methods for Engineering 110, 379—400.
- Wang, L.J., Xu, J. and Wang, J. 2017. Static and dynamic Green's functions in peridynamics. Journal of Elasticity 126, 95—125.
- Dong, H., Li, Z., Wang, J. and Karihaloo, B.L. 2016. A new fatigue failure theory for multidirectional fibre-reinforced composite laminates with arbitrary stacking sequence. International Journal of Fatigue 87, 294—300.
- Wang, L.J., Xu, J. and Wang, J. 2016. The Green’s functions for peridynamic non-local diffusion. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 472, 20160185.
- Dong, H., Wang, J. and Rubin, M.B. 2015. A nonlinear Cosserat interphase model for residual stresses in an inclusion and the interphase that bonds it to an infinite matrix. International Journal of Solids and Structures 62, 186—206.
- Du, F., Duan, H. L., Xiong, C. Y. and Wang, J. 2015. Substrate wettability requirement for the direct transfer of graphene. Applied Physics Letters 107, Art 143109.
- Sun, T., Wang, J. and Kang, W. 2014. Heat transfer in heterogeneous nanostructures can be described by a simple chain model. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 16, 16914—16918.
- Dong, H., Wang, J. and Karihaloo, B.L. 2014. An improved Puck's failure theory for fiber-reinforced composite laminates including the in situ strength effect. Composites Science and Technology 98， 86—92.
- Sun, T., Wang, J. and Kang, W. 2013. Van der Waals interaction-tuned heat transfer in nanostructures. Nanoscale 5, 128–133.
- Zhang, K., Zhao, X.W., Duan, H.L., Karihaloo, B.L. and Wang, J. 2011. Pattern transformations in periodic cellular solids under external stimuli. Journal of Applied Physics 109, Art. 084907.
- Zhang, K., Duan, H.L., Karihaloo, B.L. & Wang, J. 2010 Hierarchical, multilayered cell walls reinforced by recycled silk cocoons enhance the structural integrity of honeybee combs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 107 (21), 9502—9506.
- Duan, H.L., Wang, J. & Karihaloo, B.L. 2009 Theory of elasticity at the nano-scale. Advances in Applied Mechanics 42, 1-68.
- Wang, J., Duan, H.L., Huang, Z.P. & Karihaloo, B.L. 2006 A scaling law for properties of nano-structured materials. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 462, 1355—1363.
- Duan, H.L., Wang, J., Huang, Z.P. & Karihaloo, B.L. 2005 Size-dependent effective elastic constants of solids containing nano-inhomogeneities with interface stress. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 53, 1574—1596.
- Duan, H.L., Wang, J., Huang, Z.P. & Karihaloo, B.L. 2005 Eshelby formalism for nano-inhomogeneities. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 461, 3335—3353.