Mar. 2000 – July 2003 Ph.D. Materials, Tsinghua University
Sep.1997 – Feb. 2000 M.S Materials, Hebei University of Technology, China
Sep.1993 – July 1997 B.S Materials, Hebei University of Technology, China
Feb. 2012- Present Assistant Professor, Peking University, China
April 2008 – Feb. 2012 Specially Appointed Associate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Nagaoka University of Technology, Japan
Nov. 2007 - Mar. 2008 Research associate, Kyodo University, Japan
Oct. 2005 – Oct. 2007 The JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Chemical Resources Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
Oct. 2003 – Oct. 2005 Research associate, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST-CREST), Chemical Resources Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
Research Areas and Interests
Photoresponsive liquid crystals and soft matter
Light-triggered photonics and advanced materials
Nanotechnology and self-organization
Polymer chemistry and physics
Photomechanical and energy-transferring materials
Hologram and data-storage materials
The overall objective of the research in the Yu group is focused on synthesis of novel photo-functional liquid-crystalline materials and further the developing their applications in optical switches, holographic storage, regular array of organic nanostructures, photo-driven materials and smart soft matters.
Professional Honors and Awards
•2010 Distinguished lectureship award of the Asian International Symposium on Nanotechnology and Materials Chemistry
•2007 Lecture Prize in the Kantou branch conference of the Chemical Society of Japan (CSJ)
•2005 JSPS Fellow (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science)
•Members of MRS, PSJ and CSJ.
(1) Yu, H. F.* “Dancing with Light: Advances in Photofunctional Liquid?Crystalline Materials”, Pan Stanford Publishing, (invited textbook, in press)
(2) Yu, H. F.*; Kobayasi, T. Chapter 5“Azobenzene-Containing Materials for Hologram”. (pp 95-117) “Holograms – Recording Materials and Applications” Edited by Naydenova I., ISBN 978-953-307-245-6, InTech - Open Access Publisher, Vienna, Austria. 2011 (invited book chapter)
(3) Yu, H. F.*; Ikeda, T. Chapter 12 Azobenzene block copolymers in solid state”. in Smart Light-Responsive Materials: Azobenzene -Containing Polymers and Liquid Crystals (Y. Zhao & T. Ikeda eds.), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, 2009, 411-455.
(1) Zhou W.; Kobayashi, T.; Zhu, H.; Yu, H. F.* “Electrically Conductive Hybrid Nanofibers Constructed with Two Amphiphilic Salt Components” Chem. Commun. 2011, 47, 12768–12770. back cover picture
(2) Yu, H. F.* ; Dong, C., Zhou, W.; Kobayasi, T.; Yang, H.* “Photomechanical behaviors of Hybrid Films of Liquid-Crystalline Polymer Microparticles ” Small. 2011, 7, 3039-3045 (Frontispiece of issue 21)
(3) Yu, H. F.*; Kobayasi, T.; Yang, H.* “Liquid-Crystalline Ordering Helps Block Copolymer Self-Assembly” Adv. Mater. 2011, 23, 3337-3344 (“hot topic” in the field of Liquid Crystals)
(4) Yu, H. F.*; Liu, H.; Kobayashi, T. “Fabrication and Photoresponse of Supramolecular Liquid-Crystalline Microparticles” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2011, 3, 1333-1340.
(5) Yu, H. F.*; Ikeda, T. “Photocontrollable Liquid-Crystalline Actuators” Adv. Mater. 2011, 23, 2149-2180. (“hot topic” in the field of Liquid Crystals)
(6) Yu, H. F.*; Kobayasi, T. Hu, G. “Macroscopic Control of Microphase Separation in an Amphiphilic Nematic Liquid-Crystalline Diblock Copolymer” Polymer, 2011, 52, 1154-1161.
(7) Liu, H.; Kobayasi, T.; Yu, H. F.* “Easy Fabrication and Morphology Control of Supramolecular Liquid-Crystalline Polymer Microparticles” Macromol. Rapid Commun., 2011, 32, 378-383. (Back cover picture)
(8) Chen, D.; Liu, H.; Kobayasi, T.; Yu, H. F.* “Multiresponsive Reversible Gels Based on a Carboxylic Azo Polymer” J. Mater. Chem. 2010, 20, 3610-3614. (Back cover picture)
(9) Yu, H. F.*; Kobayashi, T. “Photoresponsive Block Copolymers Containing Azobenzene and Other Chromophores” Molecules. (For Special Issue “Photochemistry in Organic Synthesis”), 2010, 15, 570-603.
(10) Chen, D.; Liu, H.; Kobayasi, T.; Yu, H. F.* “Fabrication of Regularly-Patterned Microporous Films by Self-Organization of an Amphiphilic Liquid-Crystalline Diblock Copolymer under a Dry Environment” Macromol. Mater. Eng. 2010, 295,26-31. (Front cover picture, sample issue of 2010)
(11) Yu, H. F.*; Kobayasi, T. “Fabrication of Stable Nanocylinder Arrays in Highly Birefringent Films of an Amphiphilic Liquid-Crystalline Diblock Copolymer” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2009, 1, 2755-2762.
(12) Yu, H. F.*; Kobayasi, T.; Ge, Z. “Precise Control of Photoinduced Birefringence in Azobenzene-Containing Liquid-Crystalline Polymers by Post Functionalization” Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2009, 30, 1725-1730 (Front cover picture) (“hot topic” in the field of Liquid Crystals)
(13) Yu, H. F.; Naka, Y.; Shishido, A.; Ikeda, T. “Well-Defined Liquid-Crystalline Diblock Copolymers with an Azobenzene Moiety: Synthesis, Photoinduced Alignment and their Holographic Properties” Macromolecules 2008, 41, 7959-7966.
(14) Yu, H. F.; Shishido, A.; Ikeda, T. “Subwavelength Modulation of Surface Relief and Refractive Index in Pre-irradiated Liquid-Crystalline Polymer Films” Appl. Phys. Lett. 2008, 92, 103117/1-3.
(15) Yu, H. F.; Shishido, A.; Li, J.; Iyoda, T.; Ikeda, T. Stable Macroscopic Nanocylinder Arrays in An Amphiphilic Diblock Liquid-Crystalline Copolymer with Successive Hydrogen Bonds. J. Mater. Chem. 2007, 17, 3485-3488 (Front cover picture).
(16) Yu, H. F.; Shishido, A.; Iyoda, T.; Ikeda, T. “Novel Wormlike Nanostructures Self-Assembled in a Well-Defined Liquid-Crystalline Diblock Copolymer with Azobenzene” Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2007, 28, 927-931 (Front cover picture, most accessed article in 04/2007).
(17) Yu, H. F.; Asaoka, S.; Shishido, A.; Iyoda, T.; Ikeda, T. “Nanoscale Cooperative Motions in a Novel Well-Defined Triblock Copolymer.” Small 2007, 3, 768-771.
(18) Yu, H. F.; Li, J.; Ikeda, T.; Iyoda, T. “Macroscopic Parallel Nanocylinder Array Fabrication Using a Simple Rubbing Technique” Adv. Mater. 2006, 18, 2213-2215 (Inner front cover picture).
(19) Yu, H. F.; Iyoda, T.; Ikeda, T. “Photoinduced Alignment of Nanocylinders by Supramolecular Cooperative Motions” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 11010-11011.
(20) Yu, H. F.; Okano, K.; Shishido, A.; Ikeda, T.; Kamata, K.; Komura, M.; Iyoda, T. “Enhancement of Surface-Relief Gratings Recorded in Amphiphilic Liquid-Crystalline Diblock Copolymer by Nanoscale Phase Separation” Adv. Mater. 2005, 17, 2184-2188.
(21) Yu, H. F.; Shishido, A.; Ikeda, T.; Iyoda, T. “Novel Amphiphilic Diblock and Triblock Liquid-Crystalline Copolymers with Well-Defined Structures Prepared by Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization” Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2005, 26, 1594-1598. (Front cover picture)