A shortage of energy and resources has been a significant challenge to the sustainable development and national security of China. The Department of Energy and Resources Engineering was established to address the nation’s critical needs by exploring the research frontier of energy and resources engineering.
At this time, the department employs 18 full-time faculty members and several part-time ones. The faculty includes both internationally and domestically recognized scholars and talented young professors. These include two recipients of the “National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars award.”
The department has bachelor, master, and Ph.D. programs with over 164 students currently enrolled. It is leading multiple key projects funded by the National Key Basic Research Program (973), the National High Technology Research and Development Program (863), the National Science Technology Pillar Program, and the National Natural Science Foundation Program.
An important factor of this department is its emphasis on collaborating with the government and industry in order to provide critical policy and/or technology support.
The department’s goal is to become a world-class research center in the field of energy and resources, while supplying top-notch professionals to aid this country.
1 New Energy: Science and Engineering
• Renewable energy
• Efficient energy conversion and utilization
• Advanced batteries: theory and technology
2 Advanced Energy: Theory and Technology
• Non-conventional fossil energy
• Natural gas hydrate
• Enhanced oil and gas recovery
• CO2 capture, utilization and storage
• Energy policy, economics, and environmental impact
3 Effective Utilization and Recycling of Resources
• Effective and clean utilization of complex mineral resources
• Effective recycling and utilization of solid waste
• Key technologies for saving energy and cutting emission