Faculty in the News
1986.4 Ph.D. The University of British Columbia Canada
1980.4 M.E Asian Institute of Technology Thailand
1978.5 B.E, National University of Singapore Singapore
Research Areas And Interests
1. Digital Humans
3. Space Dynamics Modeling
5. Multibody Dynamics Modeling of Frictional Contact
1996-Present Professor, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, The University of Iowa
2002-2006 Chang Jiang Scholar, Fudan University
1992-Present Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics
1989- Present Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
1986-Present Member, American Academy of Mechanics
2002-2004 Chair, ASME Technical Committee on Vibration and Sound
2000-2002 Vice-Chair, ASME Technical Committee on Vibration and Sound
2000-Present Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics
1999- Present Member of the Editorial Board, Institution of Mechanical Engineers Journal of Multibody Dynamics
1992- Present Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics in Science and Technology
1998- 2004 Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics
1998- 2001 Theme Editor for Space Systems, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London (Series A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences)
1. Zhang, Fanli and Ray P.S. Han, “An assessment of fatigue-related EMG median frequency statistical models revisited”, in press: Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 2006.
2. Mao, S.G. and Ray P.S. Han, “Nonlinear Complementarity Equations for Modeling Tire-Soil Interaction – An Incremental Bekker Approach”, in press: Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2006.
3. Zhang, Meiyan and Ray P.S. Han, “Novel Method for Structural Dynamic Reanalysis Based on Rational Approximation and Eigen-Sensitivity”, in press, Journal of Vibration and Shock, 2006.
4. Xiao, Shaoping, Ray P.S. Han and Wenyi Hou, “Spin in Carbon Nanotube-based Oscillators”, International Journal of Nanoscience, in press, 2006.
5. Xiao, S., D.R. Andersen , Ray P.S. Han and W. Hou, “Studies of Carbon Nanotube-Based Oscillators Using Molecular Dynamics,” Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, 3, 142–147, 2006.
6. Bhatti, M.A., Ray P.S. Han and R. Vignes, “Muscle Forces and Fatigue in a Digital Human Environment”, SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars – Mechanical Systems, V114-6, 2930-2936, 2006.
7. Zhou, Yuanpai and Ray P.S. Han, “A Genetic Algorithm with Elite Crossover and Dynastic Change Strategies”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3612, 269-278, 2005.
8. Han, Ray P.S. and S.G. Mao, “DAE for Frictional Contact Modeling of Constrained Multi-Flexible Body Systems”, Journal of Vibration Engineering, 17, 673-677, 2004.
9. Tyc, G. and Ray P.S. Han, “On the Dynamics of Spinning Tethered Space Vehicles”, Philosophical Transactions: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences of the Royal Society, 359, 2161-2190, 2001.
10. Han, Ray P.S. and S.G. Mao, “Hamilton Equation-Based Symplectic Finite Element Modeling of Flexible Multibodies Undergoing Large Overall Motion”, IMechE Journal of Multibody Dynamics, 215, 75-92, 2001.
11. Luo, A.C.J. and Ray P.S. Han, “The Resonant Theory for Stochastic Layers in Nonlinear Dynamic Systems”, Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, 12, 2493-2508, 2001.
12. Han, Ray P.S., Brian S. Sander and S.G. Mao, “A Recursive Multibody Model of a Tracked Vehicle and its Interaction with Flexible Ground”, Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 11, 133-150, 2001.
13. Luo, A.C.J. and Ray P.S. Han, "The Dynamics of Stochastic and Resonant Layers in a Periodically Driven Pendulum", Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, 11, 2349-2359, 2000.
14. Luo, A.C.J. and Ray P.S. Han, “Investigation of Stochastic Layers in Nonlinear Dynamics”, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 122, 36-41, 2000.
15. Luo, A.C.J. and Ray P.S. Han, “Analytical Predictions of Chaos in a Nonlinear Rod”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 227, 523-544, 1999.
16. Luo, A.C.J., K. Gu and Ray P.S. Han, “Resonant-Separatrix Webs in Stochastic Layers of the Twin-Well Duffing Oscillator”, Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics, 19, 37-48, 1999.
17. Han, Ray P.S. and Jia Lu, “A Space-Time Finite Element for Elasto-Plastic Shock Dynamics of Beams”, Journal of Sound & Vibration, 222, 65-84, 1999.
18. Bettig, B.P. and Ray P.S. Han, “Modeling the Lateral Vibration of Hydraulic Turbine Generator Rotors”, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 121, 322-327, 1999.
19. Han, Ray P.S. and A.C.J. Luo, “Resonant Layers in Nonlinear Dynamics”, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 65, 727-736, 1998.
20. Bettig, B.P. and Ray P. S. Han, “Predictive Maintenance using a Rotordynamic Model of a Hydraulic Turbine-Generator Rotor”, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 120, 441-448, 1998.
21. Mou, Yanghu and Ray P.S. Han, “Influence of Damage in the Vicinity of a Macrocrack Tip”, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 55, 617-632, 1996.
22. Luo, A.C.J., Ray P.S. Han, G. Tyc, V.J. Modi and A.K. Misra, “Analytical Vibration and Resonant Motion of a Stretched Spinning Nonlinear Tether”, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control & Dynamics, 19, 1162-1171, 1996.
23. Mou, Yanghu and Ray P.S. Han, “Damage Evolution in Ductile Materials”, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 5, 241-258, 1996.
24. Luo, Albert C.J. and Ray P.S. Han, “The Dynamics of a Bouncing Ball with a Sinusoidally Vibrating Table Revisited”, Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics, 10, 1-18, 1996.
25. Mou, Yanghu and Ray P.S. Han, “Damage Zones in Strain Hardening Materials”, Mechanics of Materials, 22, 131-147, 1996.