- Turbulence theory, including the hierarchy theory on multi-scale flow phenomena, multi-scale motion cascade dynamics, turbulence statistics theory based on the flow structure, flow stability theory, and the dynamics processes of turbulent transition.
- Turbulence simulations, including large-scale direct numerical simulation, turbulence large eddy simulation, and other turbulence modeling methods with emphasis on engineering application. The physical properties and models of two-dimensional turbulence and rotation turbulence are also studied.
- Turbulence experiments, including the visulization of the turbulence structure and the quantitative measurements of turbulent flow.
2 Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computational fluid dynamics methods, including multi-scale computational method, the lattice Boltzmann method, molecular dynamics simulation, the boundary vorticity method and parallel algorithms, and numerical methods of fluid-solid coupling problems.
- Applied computational fluid dynamics, including multiphase flow, granular flow, chemical polymers computational simulation, simulation of the interaction of porous media, micro-nano-fluid simulation, simulation of complex and movable boundary conditions, semiconductor carrier transport models and simulation.
- Internal and external flow aerodynamics, experimental and numerical study of complex structures and processes of the flow from low speed to high speed flow, such as vortex, shockwaves, flow separation, mixing layer, instability, fluid-solid coupling, as well as the fluid mass vibration in fluid machinery.
- Flow control, including the physical analysis and configuration optimization of complex internal and external flow, and the active and passive open-and-close loop control of complex fluid motion.
- Combustion, including chemical kinetics, the rocket engines and so on.
- Wind engineering research, such as wind environment of skyscraper and wind loads.
4 Environmental and biological fluid mechanics
- Environmental resources and ecosystem science, which includes research on environmental resources, assessment and calculation of the ecological costs, simulation and control of environmental pollution, environmental planning and evaluation management, ecological health assessment, and sustainable development.
- Non-Newtonian fluid mechanics, which includes viscoelastic fluid mechanics, flow and heat and mass transfer of porous media.
- Cell mechanics, which includes intracellular calcium signaling dynamics, hemodynamic, and bio-heat and mass transfer.