•Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Kobe University & National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan (2008)
•M.S., Chemistry, Nankai University, Tianjin, China (2004)
Nanoporous materials, Thermal energy storage, Fuel cell catalysts, Lithium-ion battery materials, CO2 capture and separation, Clathrate hydrates
Dr. Zou’s research work focuses on developing both theoretical and experimental approaches to understand the specific interactions between various guest molecules (such as energy gases, greenhouse gases, toxics, phase change materials, environmental contaminations, and metal clusters) and the active sites within the nanoporous structures based on a series of novel porous framework materials, including aerogel, zeolites, metal-organic frameworks (MOFs), covalent-organic frameworks (COFs) and clathrate hydrates. These porous framework materials have potential applications in energy utilization and environmental remediation, especially for gas storage and separation, electrochemical energy conversion and storage, clean coal technology, contamination sensing and degradation, carbon dioxide capture, etc. It is clear is that these advanced materials have the potential and ability to meet many of the stated needs, and their successful development, especially of materials with desired properties can yield a high return in investment, while still meeting the energy-saving and environmental protection requirements. To bring these properties to maturity, Dr. Zou’s current research includes the optimization of specific selectivity, interpretation of the host-guest interaction mechanism, as well as, the development of their industrial applications
Professional Honors and Awards
•Associate Director, Beijing Key Lab of Advanced Battery Materials (2011-)
•PI, Singapore-Peking University Low Carbon Research Center, CREATE campous, Singapore (2012-2016)
•Guest Scientist, Los Alamos National Laboratory, U.S.A (2010- 2014)
•Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory (2008 - 2010)
•JSPS Fellow, Kobe University (2006 - 2008)
Selected Recent Publications (>120 SCI papers)
1. Xia, W.; Qu, C.; Liang, Z.; Zhao, B.; Dai, S.; Qiu, B.; Jiao, Y.; Zhang, Q.; Huang, X.; Guo, W.; Dang, D.; Zou*, R.; Xia, D.; Xu, Q.; Liu, M. “High-Performance Energy Storage and Conversion Materials Derived from a Single Metal–Organic Framework/Graphene Aerogel Composite“ Nano Lett., 2017, 17, 2788–2795.
2. Zhu, Q.; Xia, W.; Akita, T.; Zou*, R.; Xu, Q. "Metal-Organic Framework-Derived Honeycomb-Like Open Porous Nanostructures as Precious-Metal-Free Catalysts for Highly Efficient Oxygen Electroreduction", Adv. Mater., 2016, 28, 6391–6398.
3. Li, P.; Wang, X.; Liu, J.; Lim, J.; Zou,* R.; and Yanli Zhao, Y. “A Triazole-Containing Metal−Organic Framework as a Highly Effective and Substrate Size-Dependent Catalyst for CO2 Conversion" J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2016, 138, 2142–2145.
4. Zeng, Y.; Zou, R.*; Zhao, Y.; “Covalent Organic Frameworks for CO2 Capture“ Adv. Mater., 2016, 28, 2855–2873.
5. Xia, W.; Mahmood, A.; Liang, Z.; Zou,* R. Guo, S. “Earth-Abundant Nanomaterials for Oxygen Reduction” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2016, 55, 2650–2676.
6. Xia, W.; Mahmood, A.; Zou,* R.; Xu, Q. “Metal-Organic Frameworks and their derived nanostructures for Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion” Energy Environ. Sci., 2015, 8, 1837-1866.
7. Xia, W.; Zou,* R An, L.; Xia, D.; Guo, S. “Metal-Organic Framework Route to In-Situ Encapsulation of Co@Co3O4@C Core@Bishell Nanoparticles into Porous Carbon Matrix for Oxygen Reduction”, Energy Environ. Sci., 2015, 8, 568-576.
8. Li, P.; Wang, X.; Yan, S.; Ang, C.; Chen, H.; Liu, J.; Zou,* R.; Zhao, Y. "Clicked Isoreticular Metal–Organic Frameworks and Their High Performance in the Selective Capture and Separation of Large Organic Molecules", Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2015, 127, 12939-12943.
9. Zeng, Y.; Zou, R.; Zhong Luo, Z.; Zhang, H.; Yao, X.; Ma, X.; Yan, H.; Zou,* R.; Zhao,* Y.; “Covalent Organic Frameworks Formed with Two Types of Covalent Bonds Based on Orthogonal Reactions”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2015, 137, 1020-1023.
10. Liu, Z.; Zou,* R. ; Lin, Z.; Gui, X.; Chen, R.; Lin, J.; Shang, Y.; Cao, A. “Tailoring Carbon Nanotube Density for Modulating Electro-to-Heat Conversion in Phase Change Composites”, Nano Lett., 2013, 13, 4028-4035.