2009 Ph.D. Food Chemistry and Toxicology, The University of Hong Kong
2005 B.Sc. Food & Nutritional Science (First Class Honors), The University of Hong Kong
11/2015 – Current Assistant Professor, Energy and Resources Engineering, College of Engineering, Peking University, Beijing, China
02/2015 – 11/2015 Assistant Professor, State Key Laboratory for Quality Research in Chinese Medicine, Macau University of Science and Technology, Macau
11/2013 – 11/2014 Research Assistant Professor, Division of Cancer Prevention, State University of New York at Stony Brook, New York, USA
10/2013 – 11/2013 Research Scientist, Division of Cancer Prevention, State University of New York at Stony Brook, New York, USA
09/2010 – 09/2013 Postdoctoral Associate, Division of Cancer Prevention, State University of New York at Stony Brook, New York, USA
01/2010 – 08/2010 Senior Research Assistant, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
HONORS AND AWARDS
2015 1000 Young Talent Program, CPC Central Committee, China
2010 Li Ka Shing Prize for the best PhD thesis in the Faculties of Dentistry, Engineering, Medicine and Science in The University of Hong Kong
2009 1st Place Award, ACS/AGFD Withycombe-Charalambous Graduate Student Symposium, Salt Lake City, USA
2009 Shortlist, Croucher Foundation Fellowships
2008 Shortlist, Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowships
2008 2nd Class Award, 2008 CIFST Technological Innovation Award
2008 Student’s Travel Grant, 2008 Academic Forum for Doctoral Candidates of Food and Biotechnology (Jiangnan University, China)
2008 Travel Grant, 14th World Congress of Food Science & Technology (Shanghai, China)
2005-2009 Postgraduate Studentships
2003, 2004, 2005 Dean's Honors List
2003 Dr. Spring Chen Memorial Prize in Biological Sciences
• RCS Advances
Reviewer for scientific journals
• Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
• Food Chemistry
• Food and Function
• Journal of Functional Foods
• Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces
• Food and Nutrition Sciences
• Journal of Bioprocessing & Biotechniques
• Interaction of phytochemicals with Maillard reaction in foods
• Functional foods
• Cancer chemoprevention
• Pharmaceutics formulation and delivery
Project – Dietary natural extracts for the prevention of heterocyclic amine-associated health risk.
– Food Navigator-usa.com (http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Science/Apple-extracts-show-promise-for-cooked-meats)
– NaturalNews.com (http://www.naturalnews.com/023764_apples_toxicity_apple.html)
Project – Cinnamon bark extracts for the prevention of the formation of advanced glycation end products
– DiabetesHealth Solutions (http://www.diabeteshealth.com/solutions/food/supplements/)
– Life enhancement (www.life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/1959-can-cinnamon-compounds-help-prevent-age)
REPRESENTATIVE PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS (Out of >50)
1. Cheng KW, Nie T, Papayannis I, Huang L, Ouyang N, Alston N, Mattheolabakis G, Wong CC, Rigas B. A novel ibuprofen derivative with anti-lung cancer properties: synthesis, formulation, pharmacokinetic and efficacy studies, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2014, 477, 236-243.
2. Li H, Zhu F, Chen, H, Cheng KW, Zykova T, Oi N, Lubet RA, Bode AM, Wang M, Dong Z. 6-C-(E-phenylethenyl)-Naringenin Suppresses Colorectal Cancer Growth by Inhibiting Cyclooxygenase-1. Cancer Research, 2014, 74, 243-252.
3. Cheng KW, Wong CC, Alston N, Mackenzie GG, Huang L, Ouyang N, Xie G, Wiedmann T, Rigas B. Aerosol administration of phospho-sulindac inhibits lung tumorigenesis. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2013, 12, 1417-1428.
4. Cheng KW, Wong CC, Matthaiolampakis G, Xie G, Huang L, Rigas B. Curcumin enhances the lung cancer chemopreventive efficacy of phospho-sulindac by improving its pharmacokinetics. International Journal of Oncology, 2013, 43, 895-902.
5. Zhu C, Cheng KW, Ouyang N, Huang L, Sun Y, Constantinides PP, Rigas B. Phosphosulindac (OXT-328) selectively targets breast cancer stem cells in vitro and in human breast cancer xenografts. Stem cells, 2012, 30, 2065-2075.
6. Wong CC, Cheng KW, Xie G, Zhou D, Zhu CH, Constantinides PP, Rigas B. Carboxylesterases 1 and 2 hydrolyze phospho-nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: relevance to their pharmacological activity. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 2012, 340, 422-432.
7. Cheng KW*, Wong CC*, Wang M, He QY, Chen F. Identification and characterization of molecular targets of natural products by mass spectrometry. Mass Spectrometry Reviews, 2010, 29, 126-155.
8. Cheng KW, Shi JJ, Ou SY, Wang M, Jiang Y. Effects of fruit extracts on the formation of acrylamide in model reactions and fried potato crisps. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2010, 58, 309-312.
9. Zeng X, Cheng KW, Chen F, Wang M. Activities of hydrocolloids as inhibitors of acrylamide formation in model systems and fried potato strips. Food Chemistry, 2010, 121, 424-428.
10. Zheng ZP, Cheng KW, Zhu Q, Wang XC, Lin ZX, Wang M. Tyrosinase inhibitory constituents from the roots of Morus nigra: A structure-activity relationship study. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2010, 58, 5368-5373.
11. Cheng KW, Wong CC, Chao J, Lo C, Chen F, Chu IK, Che C, Ho CT, Wang M. Inhibition of mutagenic PhIP formation by EGCG via scavenging of phenylacetaldehyde. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, 2009, 53, 716-725.
12. Cheng KW, Yang RY, Tsou SCS, Lo C, Lee TC, Wang M. Analysis of different types of antioxidants in Chinese toon (Toona sinensis), a Chinese vegetable, Journal of Functional Food, 2009, 1 253-259.
13. Cheng KW,# Zeng X, Tang YS, Wu JJ, Sze KH, Chen F, Wang M.# Inhibitory activity of naringenin against acrylamide formation and non-enzymatic browning in Maillard model reactions. Chemical Research in Toxicology, 2009, 22, 1483-1489.
14. Cheng KW, Wong CC, Cho CK, Chu IK, Sze KH, Lo C, Chen F, Wang M. Trapping of phenylacetaldehyde as a key mechanism responsible for naringenin’s inhibitory activity in mutageninc PhIP formation. Chemical Research in Toxicology, 2008, 21, 2026-2034. (IMARS Highlights, 2009, vol. 4, no. 1, p.17-18.)
15. Wong CC, Wang Y, Cheng KW, Chiu JF, He QY, Chen F. Comparative proteomic analysis of indioside D-triggered cell death in heLa cells. Journal of Proteome Research, 2008, 7, 2050-2058.
16. Zheng ZP, Cheng KW, To JT, Li HT, Wang M. Isolation of tyrosinase inhibitors from Artocarpus heterophyllus and use of its extract as anti-browning agent. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, 2008, 52, 1530-1538.
17. Peng XF, Cheng KW, Ma J, Chen B, Ho CT, Lo C, Chen F, Wang M. g’r Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008, 56, 1907-1911.
18. Zheng ZP, Cheng KW, Chao JF, Wu JJ, Wang M. Tyrosinase inhibitors from paper mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera). Food Chemistry, 2008, 106, 529-535.
19. Cheng KW, Wu QL, Zheng ZP, Peng XF, Simon JE, Chen F, Wang M. Inhibitory effect of fruit extracts on the formation of heterocyclic amines. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2007, 55, 10359-10365.
20. Cheng KW, Chen F, Wang M. Inhibitory activities of dietary phenolic compounds on heterocyclic amine formation in both chemical model system and beef patties. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, 2007, 51, 969-976.